|Centuries:||20th century – 21st century – 22nd century|
|Decades:||2000s 2010s 2020s – 2030s – 2040s 2050s 2060s|
|Years:||2033 2034 2035 – 2036 – 2037 2038 2039|
|Ab urbe condita||2789|
|British Regnal year||N/A|
|Chinese calendar||乙卯年 (Wood Rabbit)
4732 or 4672
— to —
丙辰年 (Fire Dragon)
4733 or 4673
|- Vikram Samvat||2092–2093|
|- Shaka Samvat||1958–1959|
|- Kali Yuga||5137–5138|
|Japanese calendar||Heisei 48
|Julian calendar||Gregorian minus 13 days|
|Minguo calendar||ROC 125
|Thai solar calendar||2579|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 2036.|
2036 (MMXXXVI) will be a leap year starting on Tuesday of the Gregorian calendar (dominical letter FE), the 2036th year of the Common Era (CE) and Anno Domini (AD) designations, the 36th year of the 3rd millennium, the 36th year of the 21st century, and the 7th year of the 2030s decade.
Predicted and scheduled events
- April – A METI message Cosmic Call 2 sent from the 70-meter Eupatoria Planetary Radar arrives at its destination, Hip 4872 star.
- April 13 – Between December 2004 and January 2013 it was unknown if the close approach of asteroid 99942 Apophis in April 2029 would lead to an impact on April 1, 2036. As of 2013 it has been known that Apophis will be no closer than about 14 million miles — and more likely miss Earth by something closer to 35 million miles in 2036.
- Aubrey De Grey predicts by around this year there is a 50/50 chance SENS Research Foundation and other indefinite life extension research will bring aging under a "decisive level of medical control"; paving the way for biological immortality in humans.
- The 64-bit timestamps used by NTP consist of a 32-bit part for seconds and a 32-bit part for fractional second, giving a time scale that rolls over every 232 seconds (136 years) and a theoretical resolution of 2−32 seconds (233 picoseconds). NTP uses an epoch of January 1, 1900 so the first roll over will be in 2036.
- It is estimated that by the year 2036, there will be no veterans of the Second World War left.
- Fringe's fifth season (and season 4 episode "Letters of Transit") takes place in the year 2036.
- The 1936 film Things to Come depicts 2036 as a time when humans live in underground cities and fire the first spacecraft to the Moon from a giant space gun.
- Most of the Once Upon a Time Machine episode of the 1987 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cartoon series is set in the year 2036. It's an era of peace and without any crimes in New York City, when Shredder, Bebop and Rocksteady travel in time from 1991 to 2036 in an attempt to rule the future.
- Zenon Kar, of the Zenon books and films, is born this year.
- In the game Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow for Nintendo DS, Dracula is set to be revived this year.
- The events of the film Android take place.
- The popular Epcot ride, Mission Space, takes place this year.
- John Titor supposedly time travels back to the winter of 1975 to retrieve an IBM 5100 computer which he claimed was needed to "debug" various legacy computer programs in 2036.
- According to Lt. Commander Data in the pilot episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation, this year the United Nations resolved that "No person shall be made to answer for the crimes of their race or forebears." The entity Q scoffs at this, saying this was a court of 2079, when the U.N. no longer existed. Complicating this argument is that the date of 2079 in Trek lore is 16 years after the events of Star Trek: First Contact, when extraterrestrial life has already been discovered and is assisting humanity to recover from the Third World War.
- The 2013 manga and anime Coppelion takes place in 2036, which is 20 years after the Odaiba nuclear explosion in 2016.
- Kelly Beatty (January 9, 2013). "Asteroid Apophis Takes a Pass in 2036". Sky & Telescope. Retrieved 2013-01-10.
- W. Richard Stevens; Bill Fenner; Andrew M. Rudoff (2004). UNIX Network Programming. Addison-Wesley Professional. pp. 582–. ISBN 978-0-13-141155-5.
- Ninjaturtles – Once Upon a Time Machine