From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Centuries:||20th century – 21st century – 22nd century|
|Decades:||2010s 2020s 2030s – 2040s – 2050s 2060s 2070s|
|Years:||2037 2038 2039 – 2040 – 2041 2042 2043|
|Ab urbe condita||2793|
|British Regnal year||N/A|
|Chinese calendar||己未年 (Earth Goat)
4736 or 4676
— to —
庚申年 (Metal Monkey)
4737 or 4677
|- Vikram Samvat||2096–2097|
|- Shaka Samvat||1962–1963|
|- Kali Yuga||5141–5142|
|Japanese calendar||Heisei 52
|Julian calendar||Gregorian minus 13 days|
|Minguo calendar||ROC 129
|Thai solar calendar||2583|
Predicted and scheduled events
- May 11 – Partial solar eclipse
- September 8 – Planetary alignment of Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn and the crescent Moon.
- November 4 – Partial solar eclipse
- Global energy consumption will have increased by 56 percent from 2010, from 524 quadrillion British thermal units (Btu) to 820 quadrillion Btu.
- Japan will have shut down the last of its nuclear power plants.
- The Antarctic treaty will come under review
- The United States Air Force will start an at least partial phase-out of their B-52 Bombers, which by 2040 will have served 85 years of combat.
- NASA predicts that by this year it will cost only tens of dollars per pound to launch humans or cargo into space.
- Projected completion date for the Trans-European Transport Networks (TEN-T) rail corridor running from Germany to southern Italy.
- Space-based solar power will be commercially viable.
- The Great Red Spot on Jupiter's atmosphere will become circular according to calculations based on its reduction rate at present.
- Amsterdam aims to be fossil fuel free - powering its electric cars, trucks, boats, and buildings with energy generated by wind, solar, and biomass. (Think Progress)
- Completion of the Northeast Corridor high-speed rail route, running from Boston to Washington DC.
- Pollen counts will be more than double today's level, due to climate change.
- The anime series Macross Plus, Masoukishin Cybuster, and Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040 are all set in this year.
- In the universe of Star Trek: The Next Generation, the television becomes obsolete.
- The Doctor Who short story collection Short Trips: 2040 is set in the year 2040.
- The events of BBC science-fiction drama Outcasts take place primarily in this year.
- Phantom 2040 television series and comic strips take place during this year.
- Edward de Bono's film 2040: Possibilities by Edward de Bono presents an idea, in the form of a lecture, what 2040 might be like.
- In JLU, the episode The Once and Future Thing Pt. 2 Time Warped takes place in an alternate 2040 where Batman Beyond, Warhawk, Static, and Bruce Wayne are the only remaining members of the JLU. (2005)
- In Static Shock, the episode Future Shock takes place primarily in this year with young Static being transported to the future where he teams up with Terry/Batman to help save old Static from the Kobras. (2004)
- "JSC Celebrates 40 Years of Human Space Flight". NASA. 2002-09-03. Retrieved 2010-01-06.
- Jim Baumann. "Development of Alpine Rail Link using GIS". Retrieved 2011-12-31.
- Nancy Owano (2011-11-15). "IAA says 'Yes We Can' to power plants in orbit". Physorg.com. Retrieved 2011-12-31.
- "The Year 2040: Double the Pollen, Double the Allergy Suffering?". NewsWise/American College of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology (ACAAI). 30 October 2012. Retrieved 8 August 2013.
- "No More TV in 2040?". StarTrek.com. 2002-07-24. Retrieved 2011-12-21.