From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Centuries:||20th century – 21st century – 22nd century|
|Decades:||2020s 2030s 2040s – 2050s – 2060s 2070s 2080s|
|Years:||2050 2051 2052 2053 2054 2055 2056 2057 2058 2059|
The 2050s decade will begin on January 1, 2050 and will end on December 31, 2059.
Notable predictions and known events 
- World population is predicted to reach 9.3 billion people, according to United Nations Population Division.
- French demographist Emmanuel Todd predicts worldwide zero population growth birth rates by 2050.
- The United Kingdom could have the largest population in Europe by 2050 and be the third biggest recipient of migrants in the world, UN projections suggest.
- China, United States, India, Brazil and Mexico will be the largest economies in the world, according to a Goldman Sachs study.
- Expected completion of a space elevator by 2050.
- Predictions have been made for commercial hypersonic air travel by 2050.
- Denmark's energy supply is planned to be supplied only by renewable energies in 2050 
Fictional events 
- The Dexter's Laboratory movie, Ego Trip, has some scenes that take place in 2055.
- The movie Minority Report takes place in 2054.
- The movie Renaissance takes place in Paris in 2054.
- The movie Red Planet takes place in 2057.
- The movie Lost In Space begins in 2058.
- John Christopher's novel The Guardians takes place during the years 2052 and 2053.
- J.D. Robb's In Death mystery series takes place during the years 2058–59.
- The Video game Deus Ex takes place in 2052.
- In the video game series Video game Killzone World war III began and ended in the 2050's
- The short story A Sound of Thunder takes place in 2055.
- According to the movie Star Trek: First Contact, World War III will end in 2053.
- The Disney movie Zenon: Girl of the 21st Century (film) takes place in the late 2040s. The second movie Zenon: The Zequel takes place in 2051, two years after the first movie, and the 3rd movie in the series, Zenon: Z3 takes place in 2054.
- The racing video game Wipeout takes place in the year 2052.
- The movie Love Story 2050 takes place in 2050.
- The anime Macross Frontier takes place in 2059.
- The Waters of Mars episode of Doctor Who takes place in 2059.
- In the Annoying Orange episode "Back to the Fruiture" (a parody of Back to the Future), Orange's future counterpart came from the year 2053.
- The movie Repo! The Genetic Opera takes place in 2057.
- "World population to reach 9.1 billion in 2050, UN projects". UN News Center. 24 February 2005.
- Todd, Emmanuel (2003). After the Empire: The Breakdown of the American Order. New York: Columbia University Press. ISBN 0-231-13102-X.
- "Britain 'biggest in EU by 2050'". BBC News. 12 March 2009.
- Wilson, Dominic; Stupnytska, Anna (March 28, 2007). The N-11: More Than an Acronym. Global Economics Paper 153.
- Rebecca Boyle (2012-02-23). "Japanese Construction Company Plans Space Elevator By 2050". Australian Popular Science. Retrieved 2012-02-29.
- "Our future energy". The Danish government. The Danish Ministry of Climate and Energy. November 2011. Retrieved 2012-04-26.