From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"2078" redirects here. For other uses, see 2078 (disambiguation).
|Centuries:||20th century – 21st century – 22nd century|
|Decades:||2040s 2050s 2060s – 2070s – 2080s 2090s 2100s|
|Years:||2070 2071 2072 2073 2074 2075 2076 2077 2078 2079|
The 2070s decade will begin on January 1, 2070 and will end on December 31, 2079.
Notable predictions and known events
- February – The Teen Age Message, an Active SETI message sent from the 70-meter Eupatoria Planetary Radar, arrives at its destination, the star HD 197076
- c. May 31 - the planetoid 90377 Sedna is expected to reach its perihelion, its closest point to the Sun. It is expected to reach a distance of 76 AU, or 76 times the average distance Earth is from the Sun. Sedna has a highly elliptical orbit, thus it is difficult to locate —at its aphelion, it reaches a distance of about 942 AU. This date is subject to adjustment as Sedna's orbit is still being refined.
- May 1 - A total solar eclipse is predicted for New York City, as well as Nova Scotia in Canada.
- June 6 - The smalldatetime fields in SQL-Server databases will wrap around to January 1, 1900.
- August 11 - Mercury occults Mars for the first time since 578. It is difficult to observe, but the best observable occultation of a planet by another in the 21st century.
- Bede computed that the world would end in 2076, extrapolating from Biblical references and the year of Jesus' birth.
- In Judge Dredd (in the comic 2000 AD) 2070 was the year President Robert L. Booth started the Atomic Wars. Booth, last president of the United States, was deposed. The following year the Battle of Armageddon took place, leading to the defeat of Booth's forces. Also, Judge Dredd graduates from the Academy of Law in 2079.
- The events that set the novel Ender's Game into motion take place in 2070.
- The novel Rash by Pete Hautman takes place in the year 2074.
- Mary Shelley's apocalyptic novel The Last Man takes place in 2075.
- The back-story to Antihero for Hire lists 2075 as the year Canada invaded the United States with an army of genetically modified dinosaurs.
- The manga and anime series Planetes takes place in the year 2075.
- In Robert A. Heinlein's novel The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress, the Lunar Declaration of Independence is sent to Earth on July 4, 2076; much of the book takes place in 2076.
- The Arthur C. Clarke novel Rendezvous with Rama begins with an asteroid striking Italy at 0946 GMT on September 11, 2077 - destroying Padua and Verona and sinking Venice.
- The novel Messenger by Lois Lowry takes place in 2073.
- In the teen-fiction series TimeRiders by Alex Scarrow, an ELE engineered biological virus that kills off 99.9999% of humanity is released in 2070.
Television and Film
- The main events of the 2013 sci-fi Oblivion take place in March 2077.
- The 1967 Doctor Who story The Moonbase is set in 2070 on the Moon.
- The animated film Dexter's Laboratory: Ego Trip has some scenes that take place in 2070.
- The television series Total Recall 2070 takes place in 2070.
- The events of the anime series Cowboy Bebop take place in 2071. The events of Cowboy Bebop: The Movie take place during Halloween of that year.
- The Evil Dexter clone from Dexter's Laboratory as mentioned in the episode "Over Labbing" will destroy Dexter in 2072.
- The film Equilibrium takes place in 2072.
- The film Ultraviolet takes place in 2072.
- The Nickleodeon cartoon series My Life as a Teenage Robot takes place in 2072. This is determined when title character Jenny reveals she was activated five years previously, prompting her friend Brad to ask if that meant she did not remember Super Bowl C (100).
- The film Cyborg 2, starring Angelina Jolie is set in 2074.
- The 1970s cartoon Jabberjaw, is set in an underwater civilization in 2076.
- Chou Ninja Tai Inazuma! is set in the year 2076. Its sequel SPARK is set in the following year.
- Screamers, a post-apocalyptic science fiction film released in 1995 is set in 2078.
- In the "Star Trek" universe, the maiden voyage for the crew of the USS Enterprise-D has them placed on (a re-vamped) trial in a Post-Atomic holocaust court; c. 2079. Extradimensional aliens from the "Q" Continuum charge them-and all of humanity-for crimes of violence throughout Earth history in the TNG episode "Encounter at Farpoint."
- In a Mad episode, on a skit of Dear Reaper, it is occurred to the Grim Reaper that Joey, the boy who sent the Reaper a letter asking what to buy for Joey's parents' anniversary, will die on November 14, 2071.
- In the movie Looper, time travel has been invented by 2074, but immediately outlawed.
- The sci-fi series "Continuum" has a storyline that takes place in 2077.
- The anime series Mobile Suit Gundam takes place in 2079 (Universal Century 0079).
- In the Fallout series of video games, the bulk of a Sino-American war takes place in the 2070s, and its climax, a "Great War" that starts the Apocalypse, two hours of nuclear war that led to the devastation of Earth, takes place on October 23, 2077.
- The 2011 computer game Anno 2070 takes place in the year 2070, predicting that the sea level raised dangerously.
- In the Trinity role-playing game, 2070 marked the end of The Great Crash-a period of history that began in the year 2061. During this crash, millions of people died, half the world's arable land became infertile, the world's financial and ecological resources became drained, and the world economy collapsed. Conflict erupts after 2070 between nations, the Comm crunch hits, and the Urban schism occurs. Orbital expansion is attempted to revitalize the world.
- The 4th Edition of Shadowrun takes place in the 2070s.
- Cyberpunk 2077 takes place in the 2070s
- The arcade game Tournament Cyberball 2072 is set in the year 2072
- The events of the computer game System Shock begin on November 6, 2072.
- The events of the video game Deus Ex: Invisible War take place in 2072.
- The Sega Saturn video game Gun Griffon: The Eurasian Conflict takes place in the year 2074.
- The game Red Faction is set in the year 2075 on Mars.
- The game Forsaken takes place in 2077.
- In the Command & Conquer universe, the Fourth Tiberium War begins in 2077.
- In the Mass Effect universe, the character Liara T'Soni is born in 2077.
- Space Engineers, a popular steam early access game, takes place in 2077.
- "Ozone hole smaller in 2009 than 2008: WMO". Physorg.
- B.A. Robinson (2006-08-29). "Predictions that the end of the world will happen after the year 2010". ReligiousTolerance.org. Ontario Consultants on Religious Tolerance. Retrieved 2006-11-25.
- "Judge Dredd's Timeline". Dredd Zone. 2000AD Online. Retrieved 2006-11-25.