From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"2080", "2081", "2082", and "2083" redirect here. For the They Might Be Giants song, see Join Us. For the arcade game, see A. D. 2083. For other uses, see 2080 (disambiguation) and 2081 (disambiguation).
|Centuries:||20th century – 21st century – 22nd century|
|Decades:||2050s 2060s 2070s – 2080s – 2090s 2100s 2110s|
|Years:||2080 2081 2082 2083 2084 2085 2086 2087 2088 2089|
The 2080s decade will begin on January 1, 2080 and will end on December 31, 2089.
Notable predictions and known events
- According to The China Modernization Report, China is expected to be one of the most developed countries in the world, equivalent to the level of the United States of the early 21st century.
- October 26 – Lease held by the Pitjantjatjara on Uluru to Australian government set to expire.
- November 10 – Transit of Earth as seen from Mars.
- The Sega Dreamcast's internal clock will reach its limit. Any attempt to add a year to the date will result in the current year being shown as 1950.
- October 27 - Mercury occults Jupiter, first time since 1708, but very close to the Sun and impossible to view with naked eye.
- May–June – Magicicada broods X (17-year) and XIX (13-year) will emerge simultaneously. This will be the first time this will occur since 1868; next time will be in 2310. This event occurs only once in every 221 years.
- Philip K. Dick's The Crack in Space is set on an overpopulated future Earth c. 2080.
- The events of the Sega Mega Drive strategy game The Hybrid Front start during this decade.
- The XGRA: Extreme-G Racing Association global season tournament is supposed to take place.
- The Doctor Who audio drama Loups-Garoux is set in Brazil in 2080.
- 2080 is referenced in a song with the same name by the band Yeasayer. The song calls attention to different possibilities for the future.
- The game Red Faction II is set in the year 2080.
- The OVA series Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket takes place in the year 2080 (Universal Century 0080).
- The year in which Harrison Bergeron by Kurt Vonnegut takes place is 2081.
- Gerard K. O'Neill wrote a book named 2081: A Hopeful View of the Human Future, which includes his predictions on the future world.
- The first year of the Universal Century, the time line in which the 1979 anime series Mobile Suit Gundam and many of its sequels takes place, coincides with 2081.
- video game Miner Wars 2081 by Keen Software House takes place in the year.
- CBBC's fictional show The Secret Show takes place in 2082.
- The animated television series Ōban Star-Racers takes place in 2082.
- 2082 is the name of a song by the band They Might Be Giants from the album Join Us. The song is about someone who travels ahead in time to visit his future self. 2082 will be the 100th anniversary of the band's formation.
- Second American Civil War (2083 to 2086) in Judge Dredd
- Andrea White's novel Surviving Antarctica: Reality TV 2083 takes place in 2083.
- The year that the perpetrator of the 2011 Norway attacks, Anders Behring Breivik, refers to in his text 2083 - A European Declaration of Independence, when "The Western European cultural Marxist/multiculturalist regimes will fall...".
- The OVA series Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory takes place in the year 2083 (Universal Century 0083).
- According to the storyline of the 1982 arcade video game Robotron: 2084, in 2084 man perfects the Robotrons, a robot species so advanced that man is inferior to his own creation.
- In the X-COM Storyline, the Fourth Alien War (AW-IV) starts in 2084.
- The video game Remember Me is set in Paris 2084.
- The events described by a fictional version of Evel Knievel in the Midnight Brown song 2084. Including things like the TV series Dog Monkey vs. Monkey Dog and streets made of syrup.
- The Sci-Fi film Total Recall is set in 2084.
- The Doctor Who story Warriors of the Deep takes place in 2084.
- A war in Ayreon's universe is set in 2084, said to be the "Sixth Extinction" by the "Forever" aliens (the "Fifth Extinction" was that of the dinosaurs 65 million years prior), causing the extinction of mankind save for the colony on Mars. Due to Mars' incapacity to support life, the Mars colony is effectively doomed, and after the death of its last inhabitant, the last human being, he is re-created as a new soul, the new Universal Migrator.
- 2084: Tomorrow is Today, a futuristic novel by John William McMullen set in the year 2084 in which the world has spiraled from economic collapse, limited nuclear war, and global anarchy into a United World under the protection of The Program.
- Diana Wynne Jones' short story No One begins with a reference to the year being 2084
- In episode 11.16 of The Simpsons, Lisa receives a sticker saying to vote for a gay president in 2084, which, according to them, is a realistic goal.
- 2084. Il potere dell'immortalità nelle città del dolore. Is a dystopian novel by Menotti Lerro, published in 2013.
- Claire Fisher, fictional artist in the HBO television series, Six Feet Under, dies in 2085 in Manhattan at the age of 101.
- 2085 is mentioned as the setting of singer The-Dream's single "Walking On the Moon".
- The little-known sequel to Robotron: 2084, Blaster, is set in 2085, after the destruction of the human race in 2084 by the Robotrons.
- The Adventures of the Galaxy Rangers and Thunderbirds 2086 are both set in this year, 100 years after their 1986 premieres.
- From the Spongebob Squarepants episode, The Great Patty Caper that is made in 2011 shows that the ending took place 75 years later on the time of date.
- The film The Adventures of Pluto Nash takes place in the year 2087.
- The anime series Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam takes place in the year 2087 (Universal Century 0087).
- The 300th anniversary of the drafting of the US Constitution falls on this year.
- Venus Wars (1989): A war for independence breaks out on a colonized Venus in the year 2089.
- Twilight of the Dark Master (1997): Two ancient races return to Earth and battle it out in the year 2089.
- "China Modernization Report 2007: A study on the Ecological modernization, Overview". 2006-10-21.
- Ian Musgrave (June 5, 2012). "The Transit of Earth from Mars, November 10, 2084". Astroblog. Retrieved 2012-06-16.
- "Niches :: May :: 2011". Sparkleberrysprings.com. 2009-04-15. Retrieved 2012-11-30.
- 2083 - A European Declaration of Independence, Anders Behring Breivik, p. 812
- McMullen, John. 2084: Tomorrow is Today. AuthorHouse. p. 260. ISBN 978-1-4208-8361-9.