From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from 2094)
||This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2007)|
|Centuries:||20th century – 21st century – 22nd century|
|Decades:||2060s 2070s 2080s – 2090s – 2100s 2110s 2120s|
|Years:||2090 2091 2092 2093 2094 2095 2096 2097 2098 2099|
The 2090s decade will begin on January 1, 2090 and will end on December 31, 2099.
Notable predictions and known events 
- September 23 – Total Solar Eclipse in the UK. The next total eclipse visible in the UK follows a track similar to that of August 11, 1999, but shifted slightly further north and occurring very near sunset. Maximum duration in Cornwall will be 2 minutes and 10 seconds. Same day and month as the eclipse of September 23, 1699.
- The European Energy Council and Greenpeace believes that the entire world can be powered by renewable energy by 2090.
- Work on cleaning up the site of the Oldbury Nuclear Power Station near Thornbury, South Gloucestershire, England, which was decommissioned on 29 February 2012, is scheduled to be complete no earlier than 2092 (and possibly as late as 2101).
- April 7 – Mercury occults Jupiter; it will be very close to the Sun and impossible to view with naked eye.
- March 19 – A time capsule sealed exactly one hundred years before is scheduled to be opened at the Denver International Airport.
- 2099 is the maximum calendar year limit within the Microsoft Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8 Operating Systems.
- According to one study, 83% of the Amazon rainforest may have been destroyed.
- The 100 year lease on toll Highway 407 in Ontario, Canada ends and full control of the electronic toll expressway returns to the Government of Ontario.
Fictional events 
- The racing game Ballistics is set in 2090.
- In the Star Trek universe, the Orpheus Mining Colony on Luna is established. (From Star Trek Enterprise: "Terra Prime").
- Back to the Future: The Animated Series episode "Solar Sailors" is set on December 15 of this year.
- The Mary Shelley novel The Last Man focuses on a deadly pandemic that breaks out in the year 2092.
- Fictional character Ellen Ripley from the Alien franchise is born this year.
- Fictional character Nemo Nobody from Mr. Nobody wakes up and experiences the Big Crunch.
- BTA pilot Willis E. Davidge from Enemy Mine is reported MIA (Missing In Action) on July 11, 2092.
- The majority of the film Prometheus takes place in 2093.
- Events of the First Man-Machine War from The Matrix saga begin.
- The Tiny Tank of Tiny Tank: Up Your Arsenal is first destroyed.
- World Unification Phil of the Future
- First manned landing on Mars in John Wyndham's The Outward Urge
- The Denver International Airport's time capsule is dated for release by citizens of Denver.
- Electric Light Orchestra's 1981 concept album Time partially takes place in 2095.
- Time Warp Trio book 2095 takes place in 2095.
- 2Pac's music video for California Love is based in 2095.
- Operation Dark Storm is executed in 2095.
- BTA pilot Willis E. Davidge from Enemy Mine is rescued from Fyrine IV on September 6, 2095.
- Events in the children's novel Tommy Storm take place.
- Events in Leprechaun 4: In Space take place.
- Events in the SimCity video game Las Vegas scenario where extraterrestrial attack the town take place in this year.
- The character Cy-5 from the video game, War Gods, comes from this year.
- Events in the game Syndicate (video game) start in this year.
- The film The Beach Party at the Threshold of Hell is set in this year.
- Events in Mary Shelley's The Last Man take place.
- Events in the PC fighting game, One Must Fall: 2097 take place.
- Events of the futuristic racing game Wipeout 2097 take place.
- Events of Crystalis take place.
- Events in X-Kaliber 2097 take place.
- Disney's Recess has Old Rusty survive to this date.
- Events in Star Ocean 4 take place.
- In 1992, Marvel Comics released several future-based comic book series as part of its Marvel 2099 line. Spider-Man 2099, the lead title in the line, was accompanied by other books such as X-Men, Punisher, Doom, Ghost Rider and many others, each including "2099" in the title.
- Beginning date of Judge Dredd stories in British comic 2000 AD. Judge Dredd stories are set 122 years into the future and progress forward in 'real time' (so stories from 1977 are set in 2099, and stories from 2007 are set in 2129).
- The 2099 series by John Peel are set in this year.
- The science fiction radio sitcom Nebulous is set in this year.
- In 1996, Marvel Comics and DC Comics teamed up to create Amalgam Comics it released several future-based comic book series called Legion of Galactic Guardians 2099
- This is the setting of the music video "Boyfriend" from Big Time Rush.
- Enoch, Nick. "World's oldest nuclear power station closes... but it will take 90 more years and £954m to clear it completely". Daily Mail. Retrieved 29 February 2012.
- "No rainforest, no monsoon: get ready for a warmer world". NewScientist.