20th Marine Regiment (United States)
|20th Marine Regiment|
|Active||June 15, 1943 — August 31, 1944|
|Allegiance||United States of America|
|Branch||United States Marine Corps|
|Engagements||World War II
* Battle of Kwajalein
* Battle of Saipan
* Battle of Tinian
- Headquarters & Services Company
- 1st Battalion 20th Marines
- 2nd Battalion 20th Marines
- 3rd Battalion 20th Marines
20th Marines was formed on June 15, 1943 at Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune, North Carolina from cadred units of the 19th Marine Regiment. It originally consisted of three battalions and was assigned to support the 4th Marine Division. The 1st and 2nd Battalions were made up of Marines while the 3rd Battalion was formed with US Navy Construction Battalion personnel also known as Seabees. During the war the Regiment fought during the Battle of Kwajalein, Battle of Saipan and Battle of Tinian. The regiment was inactivated on August 31, 1944 and its component battalions were reassigned within the 4th Marine Division.
- Rottman, Gordon L. (2002). U.S. Marine Corps World War II Order of Battle - Ground and Air Units in the Pacific War, 1939 - 1945.’’. Greenwood Press. ISBN 0-313-31906-5.
|This United States Marine Corps article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|