|Distributor(s)||Capitol Music Group
(in the US & UK)
Virgin EMI Records
|Genre||Dance, pop, rock|
|Country of origin||United States|
|Location||Capitol Records Tower (Hollywood, California)|
2101 Records is an American record label founded by Moroccan-Swedish record producer RedOne in 2010. Previously an imprint under Universal Republic, 2101 Records is currently functioning and distributing music under Capitol Music Group. RedOne, the founder, operates as the primary producer for the label. Notable for creating works of dance music, the imprint has a roster of many successful pop music artists such as Jennifer Lopez, Havana Brown, and Porcelain Black. Although never releasing a full-length album, the imprint released When the Lights Go Out as its first mainstream extended play.
2101 Records was founded in 2010 by record producer RedOne, as a joint venture with Universal Music Group. It was announced on May 1, 2013 that the label had signed a distribution deal with Universal Music Group's Capitol Records.
Disc jockey turned pop sensation, Havana Brown, won 2101 Records their first platinum single with "We Run The Night". Additionally, Brown gained a number-one dance hit in the United States with "Big Banana". Also releasing dance-pop tracks through the label, Porcelain Black, gained commercial success in American nightclubs with the top ten hit, "Naughty Naughty" and a top forty hit with "This Is What Rock n' Roll Looks Like", the latter gaining significant buzz for the singer and label. Mohombi, who was the first artist signed to the label, gained a number-one hit across 14 countries with "Bumpy Ride". The record reached double platinum in Sweden and gold in Denmark, making the labels first certifications in those countries. Although never releasing a full-length album since its inception, the label has released an EP and remix album; When the Lights Go Out (released through 2102 Records and Island) and an extended play maxi containing various remixes of "Naughty Naughty" by Porcelain Black.
- Jennifer Lopez
- Mohombi - joint deal with Cash Money Records.
- Havana Brown - joint deal with Island Records Australia
- Midnight Red
- Porcelain Black
- Priyanka Chopra - joint deal with Interscope Records and DesiHits.
- Dive Bella Dive - joint deal with Island Records.
- Talkback - joint deal with Cash Money Records.
- Zander Bleck - joint deal with Interscope Records.
- Ahmed Chawki (aka Chawki)
- RedOne - Grammy winning-producer and the founder of 2101 Records.
- Bilal "The Chef" Hajji
- Achraf Jannusi
- Giorgio Tuinfort
- Astrid Roelants
- Geraldo Jacop Sandell
- Arjang Shishegar
- Jimmy Paul Thornfeldt
On 1 August 2010, RedOne and 2101 Records inked a deal for distribution via Cash Money Records, new home for Mohombi, whereas artist DJ Havana Brown and Dive Bella Dive were distributed via Island Records. Priyanka Chopra Zander Bleck are distributed via Interscope Records and 7Lions and Porcelain Black are distributed independently.
"Red's World Radio"
In 2013, 2101 Records launched an iHeartRadio show called "Red's World Radio", hosted by RedOne, Bilal "the Chef" Hajji, Porcelain Black, Novel Janussi (BeatGeek), and Prophet (of the band 7Lions). The program features a blend of artists signed to 2101 Records, in addition to a playlist consisting music from the 1980s, 1990s, and songs of the classic rock genre.
Individual artist biographies
Swedish-Congolese artist Mohombi was the first to be signed to the label in a deal with 2101. Mohombi released his debut solo studio album MoveMeant on the label on 28 February 2011. Mohombi's first single "Bumpy Ride" was certified 2x platinum in Sweden in February 2011.
- Porcelain Black
In March 2011, Porcelain Black (formerly known as Porcelain and the Tramps) released her debut single "This Is What Rock n' Roll Looks Like" via Universal Republic and the 2101 imprint. RedOne introduced Black to her current manager Derrick "EI" Lawrence, manager of Lil Wayne. Through Lawrence, Black met the rap artist, who wanted to be featured on the single. This led Porcelain Black to join Lil Wayne, Nicki Minaj, Rick Ross, and Travis Barker on the North American, "I AM MUSIC II" Tour. "Naughty Naughty", Black's second single was released on 13 December 2011. RedOne leaked the single to YouTube on 18 September 2011. Her debut album, Mannequin Factory, is to be released through the 2101 label.
On 19 June 2012, 7Lions released their debut album, Born 2 Run via 2101 Records. RedOne co-wrote and co-produced their debut single "Born 2 Run" with record producer Morgan Taylor Reid. The single "Born 2 Run" has become a sports anthem having been featured on Extreme Expeditions (National Geographic Channel), Breeders' Cup 2011 (ABC), Thanksgiving Day Game 2011 (National Football League), Australian Open 2012 (ESPN), Daytona 500 (FOX), and Major League Baseball on Fox. In May 2012 they released the "LA Kings/Born 2 Run" Stanley Cup theme, a remix of their single "Born 2 Run" that was created in cooperation with Los Angeles radio station 98.7 FM, sister station AM 570 and the Los Angeles Kings. 7Lions was asked to perform it on the KTLA Morning News in Los Angeles to spur on the LA Kings fans just days before the Kings won the Stanley Cup. In 2013 the song became WWE Friday Night Smackdown's theme song.
- Priyanka Chopra
In 2012, RedOne worked with Bollywood actress Priyanka Chopra on her debut single, "In My City". The single which features will.i.am made its debut on Thursday Night Football on the NFL Network. RedOne produced her debut album which is scheduled for release in 2013.
- Jennifer Lopez
RedOne is the executive producer of Jennifer Lopez's upcoming eight studio album, which he states will be "very special" for combining all of her genres including urban/hip hop, dance, rhythmic and Latin. The album is reported to be released in November 2013. "Live It Up" featuring Pitbull, released on May 8, 2013, serves as the upcoming single to Lopez's album distributed through the latter's own record company 2101 Records and Capitol Records.
- Morris, Christopher (1 May 2013). "2101 Records Pacts With Capitol Records Group". Variety. Penske Business Media. Retrieved 10 September 2013.
- "RedOne’s 2101 Records, Capitol Sign Worldwide Partnership Deal". Billboard. May 1, 2013. Retrieved May 5, 2013.
- "Jennifer Lopez Teams With RedOne's 2101 Records / Capitol Records To Release JLO's 10th Album Late 2013". PRNewswire. Los Angeles, California. 8 May 2013. Retrieved 10 September 2013.
- "Hot Dance Club Songs – Week of January 19, 2013". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 19 January 2013. Retrieved 14 January 2013.
- "Dance/Club Play Songs". Billboard. Retrieved 2 January 2012.
- "Pop Diva Porcelain Black's Summer Party Playlist!". Us Weekly. Wenner Media. March 23, 2011. Retrieved August 7, 2011.
- Stewart, Allison (March 29, 2011). "Singles file: Lady Gaga, Burial, Little Dragon, Dale Earnhardt Jr. Jr., Porcelain Black". The Washington Post. The Washington Post Company. Retrieved May 13, 2012.
- "Porcelain Black". Inked. Quadra Media. August 23, 2011. Retrieved August 23, 2011.
- "Veckolista Singlar - Vecka 7, 18 februari 2011". Sverigetopplistan (in Swedish). GLF. 18 February 2011. Retrieved 19 February 2011.
- "Guld og platin 2010" (in Danish). International Federation of the Phonographic Industry. 3 December 2010. Retrieved 19 January 2011.
- "iTunes - Music - Naughty Naughty (The Remixes) - EP by Porcelain Black". iTunes Store. Apple Inc. 21 February 2012. Retrieved 14 April 2012.
- Kennedy, Gerrick D. (8 May 2013). "Jennifer Lopez joins RedOne's label, issues 'Live It Up' single". Los Angeles Times. Tribune Company. Retrieved 10 September 2013.
- Kennedy, Gerrick. "RedOne teams with Cash Money Records". Los Angeles Times. Eddy Hartenstein. Retrieved 30 August 2012.
- Bhushan, Nyay (25 August 2012). "Priyanka Chopra's First Single to Debut on NFL's 'Thursday Night Kickoff'". The Hollywood Reporter. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved 28 December 2013.
- "Dive Bella Dive Profile". 2101 Records Official Website. Retrieved 28 December 2013.
- Bambridge, Fred (27 August 2011). "Introducing... Dive Bella Dive". It's All Indie. Retrieved 28 December 2013.
- Blessed, Jay (22 September 2011). "Soca Superstar KMC states "Soca music is not going to reach nowhere!"". JB. Jay Blessed Media. Retrieved 28 December 2013.
- Gundersen, Edna (25 January 2011). "Music producer RedOne achieves monster fame". USA Today. Gannett Company. Retrieved 28 December 2013.
- "WHAT ROCK N ROLL LOOKS LIKE (Legal Title) BMI Work #12805980". Repertoire. Broadcast Music, Inc. Retrieved 13 August 2012.
- "NAUGHTY NAUGHTY (Legal Title) BMI Work #13659087". Repertoire. Broadcast Music, Inc. Retrieved 13 August 2012.
- "MOMMA FORGIVE ME (Legal Title) BMI Work #15254065". Repertoire. Broadcast Music, Inc. Retrieved 2 June 2013.
- "Producer RedOne To Launch "Red’s World Radio" on iHeartRadio". FMQB. 12 August 2013. Retrieved 10 September 2013.
- RedOneProductions: RedOne launches iHeart Channel (August 14, 2013)
- Laker, Vanessa. "MOHOMBI: THE INTERVIEW!". MTV.com. Retrieved 1 October 2011.
- "Veckolista Singlar – Vecka 7, 18 februari 2011". Sverigetopplistan. GLF. 18 February 2011. Retrieved 19 September 2011.
- Ramirez, Carlos (14 June 2011). "Porcelain Black Says Rock Music Is in Her Blood". Noisecreep. Retrieved 6 August 2011.
- "Meet Lil Wayne’s New Artist Porcelain Black". Rap-Up.com. 18 March 2011. Retrieved 6 August 2011.
- Gayles, Contessa. "Porcelain Black Reveals 'What Rock N Roll Looks Like,' Exclusive Video Q&A". Noise Creep. Retrieved 16 September 2011.
- Caputo, Ashley. "A New Kind of Rock and Roll: Porcelain Black". Z!nk Magazine. Retrieved 13 September 2011.
- Kevipod. "New Music: Porcelain Black – Naughty Naughty". Retrieved 19 September 2011.
- "ARTIST DIRECT "7Lions Turn Heads Over "L.A. Kings/Born 2 Run" Stanley Cup Theme"". Retrieved 20 June 2012.
- Vijayakar, R. M. (14 September 2012). "Priyanka Chopra Unveils Music Single Launched on NFL". India-West. Ramesh Murarka. Retrieved 28 December 2013.