JR East 211 series set on a Takasaki Line service, May 2007
||Hitachi, Kawasaki Heavy Industries, Kinki Sharyo, Nippon Sharyo, Tokyu Car Corporation
||113 series, 115 series
JR East, JR Central(1987-Present)
JR West (1988-2010)
|Car body construction
Steel (JR West version)
||20,000 mm (65 ft 7 in)
||2,950 mm (9 ft 8 in)
||3 pairs per side
(JR West 120 km/h)
||Resistor control + field system superimposed field excitation control
||1,500 V DC
|Current collection method
||DT50B (motored), TR235B (trailer)(211-0/1000/2000/3000 series)
TR235G (SaRo 213/SaRo 212)
C-DT56 (motored), C-TR241 (trailer) (211-5000/6000 series)
WDT50B (KuMoRo 211/MoRo 210)
||1,067 mm (3 ft 6 in)
The 211 series (211系) is a suburban electric multiple unit (EMU) train type introduced in 1985 by Japanese National Railways (JNR), and currently operated by East Japan Railway Company (JR East) and Central Japan Railway Company (JR Central) and formerly also operated by West Japan Railway Company (JR West) in Japan.
The 211 series was developed by JNR to replace older 113 series and 115 series trains. The 211 series incorporated regenerative brakes and stainless body construction.
- 211-0 series (basic version with transverse seating)
- 211-1000 series (cold region version with transverse seating)
- 211-2000 series (basic version with all longitudinal seating)
- 211-3000 series (cold region version with all longitudinal seating)
- 211-5000 series (JR Central version)
- 211-6000 series (JR Central version with single motored car)
- Joyful Train variants (JR West version)
211-0, 211-2000 series
211 series in original JNR livery, August 1988
211-1000, 211-3000 series
211-3000 series in Chiba area livery, October 2006
211-5000, 211-6000 series
211-5000 series in Shizuoka area livery, June 2008
Joyful Train sets
Joyful Train 211 series in JR West Livery, January 2007
Main article: Joyful Train
- Super Saloon Yumeji: 3 car set converted from 211 and 213 series coaches which entered service in 1988 and withdrawn in March 2010. Operated by JR West and based at Okayama Depot.
- JR全車両ハンドブック2006 (JR Rolling Stock Handbook 2006). Japan: Neko Publishing. 2006.
- JR電車編成表 '07冬号 (JR EMU Formations - Winter 2007). Japan: JRR. December 2006. ISBN 4-88283-046-9.
- ^ a b c d e f "10/21, 房総211系, 営業運転開始" [Boso 211 series enter service]. Japan Railfan Magazine (in Japanese) (Japan: Koyusha Co., Ltd.) 47 (549): p.179. January 2007.