22nd Infantry Division Cacciatori delle Alpi
|22nd Infantry Division Cacciatori delle Alpi|
|Nickname||Cacciatori delle Alpi|
|Division collar insignia|
The 22nd Infantry Division Cacciatori delle Alpi was an infantry division of the Italian Army during World War II. The Cacciatori delle Alpi was mobilized for war in June 1939, and as part of the Italian 1st Army took part in the Italian invasion of France. It then took part in the Greco-Italian War in the Italian 11th Army. It was later moved to the Balkans stationed in Albania, Montenegro, Dalmatia and finally Slovenia where after the Italian surrender to the Allies in September 1943, the Division surrendered to the German and Croatian forces.
The Division was also involved in Operation Foča between 5 – 12 May 1942. This operation was a follow on from Operation Trio with the objective of destroying the forces in East Bosnia that had been forced into the Foča area by Operation Trio.
Order of battle
- 51. Alpi Infantry Regiment
- 52. Alpi Infantry Regiment
- 1. Cacciatori Delle Alpi Artillery Regiment
- 105. CCNN Legion (Blackshirts)
- 22. Mortar Battalion
- 22. Anti-Tank Company
- 22. Signal Company
- 22. Pioneer Company
- 25. Medical Section
- 26. Supply Section
- 20. Field Bakery[nb 1]
- An Italian Infantry Division normally consisted of two Infantry Regiments (three Battalions each), an Artillery Regiment, a Mortar Battalion (two companies), an Anti Tank Company, a Blackshirt Legion of two Battalions was sometimes attached. Each Division had only about 7,000 men, The Infantry and Artillery Regiments contained 1,650 men, the Blackshirt Legion 1,200, each company 150 men.
- "Invasion of France 20 June, 1940". Commando Supremo. Archived from the original on 21 May 2009. Retrieved 2009-04-19.
- Wendal, Marcus. "Italian Army". Axis History. Retrieved 2009-04-16.
- Hehn, Paul N. - The German struggle Against Yugoslav Guerrillas in World War II, East European Monograph No. LVII (New York: Columbia Univ. Press, 1979), pp.122-27
- Axis Order of Battle for Operation Trio
- Colić, Mladenko - Pregled Operacija na Jugoslovenskom Ratištu 1941-1945 (Belgrade: Vojnoistorijski Institut, 1988), pp 53-55; NARA WashDC: RG 242 (T-501 roll 250/361-69).
- Paoletti, p 170