|Discovery date||2005 October 24|
|Minor planet category||Main-belt comet|
|Epoch January 7, 2006
T_jup = 3.153
|Aphelion||3.9645 AU (Q)|
|Perihelion||2.3647 AU (q)|
|Semi-major axis||3.1646 AU (a)|
|Orbital period||5.63 yr|
|Mean anomaly||28.566° (M)|
|Longitude of ascending node||51.647°|
|Argument of perihelion||325.76°|
|Mean density||1.0(?) g/cm³ (assumed)|
|Apparent magnitude||19.62 to 23.41|
|Absolute magnitude (H)||20.1 ± 0.4R|
238P/Read (P/2005 U1) is a main-belt comet discovered on 2005 October 24 by M. T. Read using the Spacewatch 36 inch telescope on Kitt Peak. It has an orbit within the asteroid belt and has displayed the coma of a traditional comet. It fits the definition of an Encke-type comet with (TJupiter > 3; a < aJupiter).
Before it was discovered 238P came to perihelion on 2005 July 27. When it was discovered on 2005 October 24, it showed vigorous cometary activity until 2005 December 27. Outgassing likely began at least 2 months before discovery. The activity of 238P is much stronger than 133P/Elst-Pizarro and 176P/LINEAR. This may indicate that the impact assumed to have triggered 238P's activity occurred very recently.
- Henry H. Hsieh (May 2010). "Main Belt Comets". Hawaii. Retrieved 2010-12-15. (older 2010 site)
- David Jewitt. "Main Belt Comets". UCLA, Department of Earth and Space Sciences. Retrieved 2010-12-15.
- "JPL Small-Body Database Browser: 238P/Read (2005 U1)". 2011-09-14 last obs. Retrieved 2012-08-08. Archived from the original on 2012-08-08
- Hsieh, Henry H.; Jewitt, David C.;Ishiguro, Masateru (2009). "Physical Properties of Main-Belt Comet P/2005 U1 (Read)". The Astronomical Journal 137 (1): 157–168. arXiv:0810.1351. Bibcode:2009AJ....137..157H. doi:10.1088/0004-6256/137/1/157.
- Syuichi Nakano (2010-08-20). "P/Read (2005 U1 = 2010 N2)". OAA Computing and Minor Planet Sections. Retrieved 2011-07-25.
- Orbital simulation from JPL (Java) / Horizons Ephemeris
- Elements and Ephemeris for 238P/Read – Minor Planet Center
- 238P/Read at the Minor Planet Center's Database
- Main-Belt Comet 238P/Read Revisited (arXiv:1106.0045 : 31 May 2011)
|Periodic comets (by number)|