23rd Panzer Division (Wehrmacht)
|23rd Panzer Division|
Insignia of the 23rd Panzer Division
The 23rd Panzer Division was established on the 14th of March 1942 in France. It was built around the 101 Panzer-Brigade and two infantry regiments. The units worked with "booty tanks".
In April the division went to the Eastern Front near Kharkov. It stayed on this front for the rest of the war and surrendered on the 8th of May, 1945. The division was interned at Tamsweg Mauterndorf.
- 25 September 1941 Generalleutnant Hans Reichsfreiherr von Boineburg-Lengsfeld
- 16 November 1941 Generalmajor Heinz-Joachim Werner-Ehrenfeucht
- 22 November 1941 Generalleutnant Hans Reichsfreiherr von Boineburg-Lengsfeld
- 20 July 1942 Generalmajor Erwin Mack (died in battle on the 26th of August 1942.)
- 26 August 1942 Generalleutnant Hans Reichsfreiherr von Boineburg-Lengsfeld
- 26 December 1942 General der Panzertruppen Nikolaus von Vormann
- 25 October 1943 Generalmajor Ewald Kräber
- 1 November 1943 Generalmajor Heinz-Joachim Werner-Ehrenfeucht
- 18 November 1943 Generalmajor Ewald Kräber
- 9 June 1944 Generalleutnant Joseph von Radowitz