||This article may contain excessive, poor, or irrelevant examples. (March 2010)|
|Factorization||2 × 13|
|Divisors||1, 2, 13, 26|
26 is the only integer that is one greater than a square () and one less than a cube ().
A rhombicuboctahedron has twenty-six faces.
When a 3 × 3 × 3 cube is made of twenty-seven unit cubes, twenty-six of them are viewable as the exterior layer.
There are 26 sporadic groups.
Properties of its positional representation in certain radixes
- 26 is the gematric number, being the sum of the Hebrew characters (Hebrew: יהוה) being the name of the god of Israel – YHWH ( Yahweh )
- The Greek Strongs number G26 is "Agape" which means "Love"
- The expression, "For His mercy endures forever" is found verbatim in English and the original Hebrew 26 times, in Psalm 136. The expression is found once in each of the 26 verses.
- According to Jewish chronology, God gave the Torah in the 26th generation since Creation
The jersey number 26 has been retired by several North American sports teams in honor of past playing greats (or in one case, an owner):
- In Major League Baseball:
- In the NHL:
- No team in the NBA or NFL has retired the number.
- The number of miles in a marathon rounded down (26 miles and 385 yards).
- The "joke throw" in the game of darts, where a player throws 20, 5 and 1 when aiming for 20 (or treble 20). In professional darts, throwing 26 usually results in sneers or laughter from the audience.
In other fields
- In Microsoft Windows list of Alt Codes, the combination Alt+26 yields the "right arrow" symbol →
- The letter Z is the 26th and last letter of the English alphabet.
- A 2003 novel by Leo McKay, Jr..
- The name of the Australian Alternative Rock band, 26
- The number of letters in the basic Latin alphabet, if capital letters are not distinguished from lowercase letters.
- The total number of cases on Deal or No Deal.
- Often (in the United States) the number of episodes in a television program each year; this allows one new show per week for half the year, and one rerun per week for the rest of the year.
- The alias of punk rock singer Doc Corbin Dart
- The age at which males can no longer be drafted in the United States
- A dice game popular in the midwest United States from the 1930s to 1950s; players had to roll a chosen number 26 times or more, exactly 13 or fewer than 10.
- In a normal deck of cards, there are 26 red cards and 26 black cards.
- The number of Cantons of Switzerland.
- The number of bones in the normal human Foot and Ankle.
- "The number 26, between 25 and 27". Retrieved 2012-06-05.
- "Twenty-six." Encyclopædia Britannica. Encyclopædia Britannica 2007 Ultimate Reference Suite. Chicago: Encyclopædia Britannica, 2007.