282nd Mechanized Brigade (Romania)
||This article has an unclear citation style. (February 2012)|
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (February 2012)|
|282nd Mechanized Brigade
Brigada 282 Mecanizată
A TR-85M1 company belonging to the 282nd Mechanized Brigade
|Active||24 September 1968 - present|
|Branch||Romanian Land Forces|
|Size||6 battalions + other supporting companies|
|Part of||2nd Infantry Division|
|Colonel dr. Ovidiu POP|
The 282nd Mechanized Brigade "Union of the Principalities" (Brigada 282 Mecanizată "Unirea Principatelor") is a mechanized brigade of the Romanian Land Forces, originally formed as the 282nd Mechanized Regiment on 24 September 1968.
The brigade is widely regarded as one of the best-trained units of the Romanian Land Forces; it is subordinated to the 2nd Infantry Division. Its headquarters are currently located in Focşani. The brigade operates the TR-85 main battle tank. Together with the subordinated units, the 282nd brigade has been deployed to peacekeeping missions in Angola, Kosovo, Afghanistan, and Iraq.
- 282nd Mechanized Brigade - Focşani
- Forces from the 282nd Mechanized Brigade were deployed in Kosovo between 2002 and 2003, and accomplished medevac, as well as other types of peacekeeping missions.
- 280th and 281st battalions were deployed since 2004 in Afghanistan as part of the ISAF and since 2006 in Iraq as part of the Operation Iraqi Freedom.
- 300th battalion was deployed in 2008 (January-July) as part of the ISAF in Afghanistan.
- (English) Official Site of the Romanian Land Forces
- (Romanian) Official Site of the 2nd Infantry Division
- (Romanian) The 282nd Mechanized Brigade