28th Guards Fighter Aviation Regiment
|28th Guards Fighter Aviation Regiment|
|Country||Soviet Union, Russia|
|Branch||Soviet Air Force, Russian Air Force|
|Colors||Guards Leningrad Order of Kutuzov 2nd degree|
||This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (December 2012)|
28th Guards Fighter Aviation Regiment of the Leningrad Order of Kutuzov(28 GIAP) was an Aviation Regiment of the Soviet Air Forces during the Second World War, the Korean War, and became part of the Russian Air Force after 1991.
The regiment was formed in 1940 as the 153rd Fighter Regiment (153 IAP). In November 1942, the order of NGO Guards regiment awarded the title, he became the 28th Guards Fighter Aviation Regiment. In 1950 it was despatched to North Korea.
Initially, the regiment was equipped with I-153 and MiG-3 fighters. In 1942 it was re-equipped with P-39 Airacobra, then with Yak-15s, MiG-9s, Mig-15s, MiG-17s, MiG-19s, Su-15s, and then finally with MiG-23Ps and MiG-29s.
The regiment lost 64 pilots and 94 aircraft in World War II. In the Korean War from June 22, 1950 to October 29, 1951 - lost 3 aircraft.
- Major Sergei Mironov (August 1941-October 1942)
- Lieutenant Colonel O. M. Rodionov (October 1942)
- Major A. Smirnov
Then reports on the regiment diverge. Holm says that the regiment absorbed the 773rd Fighter Aviation Regiment. Piotr Butowski, writing in 'International Air Power Review,' Vol. 13, Summer 2004, says that the regiment was disbanded. Butowski goes on to say that the number and traditions of the 28 Gv IAP were taken up by the 33rd Fighter Aviation Regiment, which had just returned to Andreapol from Wittstock (and briefly at Damgarten) in Germany, under the 16th Guards Fighter Aviation Division. Whatever the changes in 11994, the regiment continued to serve with the 16th Air Army in the Moscow Military District. it was disbanded in 2009.
Heroes of the Soviet Union and the Russian Federation
- Alexei S. Smirnov (twice: September 28, 1943 and February 23, 1945)
- Captain Alexandr Fyodorovich Avdeev (February 10, 1943, posthumous)
- Major Makarenko Nikolay F. (10 February 1943)
- Guard Captain Anatoly Kislyakov (18 August 1945)
- Guard Captain Mazurin Fedor Kravchuk (18 August 1945)
- Guard Lieutenant Pasko Nikolai Fedorovich (18 August 1945)
- Michael Holm, 28th Guards Fighter Aviation Regiment, accessed December 2012.
- Feskov et al 2004, 150.
- Butuwski, IAPR, 2004, 88.