|Industry||Motion pictures, Television|
|Founded||Dallas, Texas (2000)|
|Todd Wagner, Co-Founder & CEO
Mark Cuban, Co-Founder
Kevin Parke, Executive Vice President
Magnolia Home Entertainment
(owner of HDNet Fights)
2929 Entertainment is an American media group with holdings in film and television production, film distribution, theatrical exhibition, home entertainment, television, and syndication. Billionaires Todd Wagner and Mark Cuban founded and currently own the privately held company. Wagner serves as its CEO, and Kevin Parke as its Executive Vice President.
In February 2004, 2929 owned the syndication rights to several television shows including Sex and the City, Star Search, and Hogan's Heroes. 2929 co-produced a newer version of Star Search which premiered in January 2003 on CBS. The original Star Search was on air between 1983 and 1988.
In January 2006, the company experimented by releasing Steven Soderbergh's Bubble simultaneously in its Landmark Theaters chain, on the company's HDNet Movies cable channel, and on DVD through its Magnolia Pictures division. The move was controversial since most films are released through different distribution channels on a staggered schedule, giving each channel an exclusive release window. Exhibitors were especially timorous, as many feared that they would eventually lose their exclusive release windows for more mainstream films.
Film and Television Production
The company produces films and television programs through two production companies: 2929 Productions and HDNet Films. 2929 Productions, headed by Marc Butan, makes movies with budgets of $10 to $40 million. HDNet Films produces lower budget movies that are shot in high definition. Notable films include:
- Star Search (2002 - 2929 Productions)
- Harrison Egbo the moon walk mysteries (2005 - 2929 Productions)
- Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room (2005 - HDNet Films)
- Good Night, and Good Luck (2005 - 2929 Productions)
- Black Christmas (2006 - 2929 Productions)
- Akeelah and the Bee (2006 - 2929 Productions)
- Bubble (2006 - HDNet Films)
- Turistas (2006 - 2929 Productions)
- The Life Before Her Eyes (2007 - 2929 Productions)
- We Own the Night (2007 - 2929 Productions)
- The Road (2009)
- A Forest of Mirrors (2012 - 2929 Productions)
- Tim and Eric's Billion Dollar Movie (2012 - 2929 Productions)
Cuban and Wagner also own a minority stake in Lions Gate Entertainment.
2929 owns Magnolia Pictures, a film distribution company that places 2929's and other company's films in theaters. Besides 2929's pictures, Magnolia has also released:
- The Lost City (2006)
- The World's Fastest Indian (2005)
- Control Room (2004)
- Capturing the Friedmans (2003)
2929 has also launched Truly Indie, which is refers to as an "innovative distribution program" for independent filmmakers.
2929 holds a significant interest in AXS TV, which Cuban originally co-founded in 2001 as the all-high definition cable channel HDNet (through AXS TV LLC, formerly HDNet, Inc.). HDNet Movies, a companion channel, shows movies in high definition. 2929 also owns and operates Rysher Entertainment, a television syndication distributor.