|Birth name||Innocent Ujah Idibia|
|Also known as||2face, Tuface, 2Baba or Tubaba|
September 18, 1975 |
Jos, Plateau State, Nigeria
|Genres||Contemporary R&B, hip hop, Reggae, Afrobeat|
|Occupations||Singer, songwriter, record producer, entrepreneur|
|Instruments||vocals, lead vocals|
|Associated acts||Sound Sultan, R. Kelly, Beenie Man, Reggie, Akon, Davido, Faze, Plantashun Boyz, BlackFace, Wyclef Jean, Mary J. Blige, T-Pain|
Innocent Ujah Idibia (born in Jos, Plateau State, Nigeria), better known by his stage name 2face Idibia, is a Nigerian singer, songwriter and record producer. He is commonly referred to as 2face or Tuface or 2Baba or Tubaba. He is one of the most decorated and successful hip pop artists in Africa. He is consistently ranked as one the best African musicians of all-time. He was a member of the defunct Plantashun Boyz and after it disbanded, continued his solo musical career.
2Face has received one MTV Europe Music Award, one World Music Award, five Headies Awards (Hip-hop award), four Channel O Music Video Awards and one BET award for his musical work, four MTV Africa Music Awards, one MOBO award, one KORA award, and numerous additional nominations.
Innocent Idibia was born in Jos, Nigeria. He is from the Idoma ethnic group in the southern part of Benue State, in central Nigeria. He attended Saint Gabriel's Secondary School in Makurdi, Benue State. He enrolled at Institute of Management & Technology, Enugu (IMT), where he did his preliminary National Diploma course in business administration and management. While attending IMT, he performed at school organized shows and parties, as well as other regional schools such as the University of Nigeria and Enugu State University of Science & Technology. He eventually dropped out to pursue his music career. While attending IMT, 2face Idibia started composing and singing jingles at the GB Fan Club at Enugu State Broadcasting Services (ESBS) in 1996.
Also in 1996, he adopted the stage name "2Face" (Tuface). He cited the reasoning as "trying to demarcate my personal life with my business life.
In Plantashun Boyz
He moved to Lagos and started performing with rapper BlackFace Naija. He had met BlackFace while attending IMT. With Blackface (Ahmedu Augustine Obiabo) and with musician Faze (Chibuzor Oji), he went on to form the trio band Plantashun Boyz.
Plantashun Boyz released two successful albums: Body and Soul (2000) and Sold Out (2003)under the Nelson Brown's owned Label (Dove Records) before disbanding in 2004. Relations were marred for many years during which the band broke up and started their solo careers. Long after the break-up known as the "Faze vs Tuface" beef, the band came back together in 2007 for the purpose of recording a third and final album entitled Plan B (2007).
After the disbandment of Plantashun Boyz in 2004, all band members sought separate musical careers. 2face Idibia released his debut solo album Face 2 Face (2004), which established him as a viable solo artist.
Following the release of his debut album, he released his sophomore album Grass 2 Grace in 2006, which contained hits "One Love", "True Love, "4 Instance". He is the founder of Hypertek Entertainment.
He released a promotion album in 2008 called The Unstoppable releasing the single "Enter the Place". Problems with album distribution in 2007 caused as shift of the release date of the album from 2008 to early 2009. In 2010, 2face released an "international edition" of the same under the title The Unstoppable International Edition making him the first Nigerian artist to have an appropriately priced international album. 2face released two more singles from the international version of his Unstoppable album. The international edition of the album won two awards at the 2010 SoundCity Music Video Awards. He also won the Channel O Music Video Awards Best African Western award and the MTV Africa Music Awards for Best Male and Artist of the year.
Upon leaving the music label Kennis Music, he set up his own record label known as Hypertek Entertainment. He is part of the Sony All African One8 Project alongside seven other musicians across Africa recording a single with R. Kelly and Prince Lee titled "Hands Across the World". He is the first non-Liberian to become an honorary member of the Liberian music society in recognition for his outstanding contribution to the growth of music in Africa.
Idibia has six children with three women. With banker/born again Christian minister Sunmbo Ajaba he has sons Zion(January 2006) and Nino(April 2008). With Washington DC based makeup artist Pero Adeniyi—daughter of P music promoter Chief Jide Adeniyi—he has daughter Rose, son Justin, and a newborn son born in April 2012.
With Nollywood actress Annie Macaulay he has daughter Isabella(December 2008). On May 2, 2012, 2Face Idibia and Macaulay married in Lagos, Nigeria in a private ceremony. 2face announced his marriage via his Twitter page. Annie Macaulay and 2Face had their traditional wedding on the 8 March 2013 in Eket, Akwa-Ibom State Nigeria. The couple also had a white wedding in Dubai, on Saturday 23 March 2013 with Nigerian and Ghanaian celebrities all present to see the long term couple tie the knot.
Macaulay has given birth to her second child for him on the 4th of January 2014.
2Face has established an NGO called 2Face Idibia Reach-Out Foundation. which motto is service to humanity. In 2009, 2Face was appointed as ambassador by National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control. He released a song "Man Unkind" in order to raise awareness on the menace of fake and sub-standard food and drug products in Nigeria. In 2009, he was presented with the prestigious International Youth Ambassador for Peace Summit and the Nigeria Youth Merit Award by the National Youth Council of Nigeria in recognition of his contributions to youth development in Nigeria.
- 2004: Face 2 Face
- 2006: Grass 2 Grace
- 2008: The Unstoppable
- 2010: The Unstoppable International Edition
- 2012: Away & Beyond
- 2014: Away and Beyond: The Ascension (TBA)
- "African Queen"
- "No Shaking"
- "See Me So"
- "4 Instance"
- "Enter the Place" (featuring Sound Sultan)
- "Only Me"
- True Love"
- Best Male Vocalist 2002 Affinity Awards
- Music of the Year 2004 Excellence Recognition Awards
- Outstanding Contribution to the Entertainment Industry 2004 Award for Excellence
- Best Male Vocalist 2004 A.M.E.N Awards
- Song of the Year 2004 A.M.E.N Awards
- Best New Act Male 2004 A.M.E.N Awards
- Best Video 2004 A.M.E.N Awards
- Song of the year for "African Queen" 2004 Nigeria Entertainment Awards New York
- Best Album of the year 2004 Nigeria Entertainment Awards New York
- Best Hip Hop and R&B Artiste 2004 Nigeria Entertainment Awards New York
- Musician of the Year 2004 City People Awards for Excellence
- Best Male Video 2005 Channel O Music Video Awards
- Best African Video of the year 2005 Channel O Music Video Awards
- Best African Act 2005 Channel O Music Video Awards
- Best African Act 2005 MTV Europe Music Awards
- Best African Act 2005 Kora Awards
- Best Musical Artiste 2005 Afro Nollywood Awards
- African Song of The Year (Non Ghanaian) 2005 Ghana Music Awards
- Special Recognition Award 2005 Hip Hop World Awards
- The Outstanding Musician of the Year 2005 Black Heritage Awards for Excellence
- Best Song of The Year 2005 G.C.E International Awards
- Musician of The Year 2006 The Future Awards
- Africa Break Through Artist of the Year 2006 Nigeria Entertainment Awards New York
- Best Album of the Year 2007 Nigeria Entertainment Awards New York
- Best African Act 2007 MOBO Awards
- Song of the Decade 2007 Nigerian Music Awards
- Best R'n'B / Pop album 2008 Hip-Hop World Awards
- Best African Act 2008 Australian African Awards
- Best selling Nigerian Artist 2008 World Music Awards, Monaco, Spain
- Best R&B MTV Africa Music Awards 2009
- Artist of the Year MTV Africa Music Awards 2010
- Best Male MTV Africa Music Awards 2010
- Most Gifted West African Video 2010 Channel O Music Video Awards
- Best Pop Video for "Implication" 2010 SoundCity Awards
- Best Western 2010 SoundCity Awards
- New Champions For An Enduring Culture 2011 16th edition of the Annual THISDAY Awards presented by former U.S. President Bill Clinton and Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger
- Best International Act: Africa BET Awards of 2011
- Album of the year 2011 Hip-Hop World Awards – "The Headies"
- Artist of the year 2011 Hip-Hop World Awards – "The Headies"
- Best R'n'B / Pop album 2011 Hip-Hop World Awards – "The Headies"
- Best African Act 2005 MOBO
- Artist of the Year 2009 MTV Africa Music Awards
- Best Male 2009 MTV Africa Music Awards
- Best Video for "Enter the Place" 2009 MTV Africa Music Awards
- Most Gifted African West Video for "Only Me" 2011 Channel O Music Video Awards
- Most Gifted Video of the Year for "Only Me" 2011 Channel O Music Video Awards
- "Rise and Rise of Tu-Face". newswatchngr.com. January 9, 2006. Retrieved March 6, 2012.
- "2Face Idibia Live in London". YouTube. Retrieved March 11, 2012.
- "Innocent Ujah Idibia (2Face)". Idomalang.org. Retrieved March 11, 2012.
- "Phat Girlz soundtrack". Soundtrackinfo.com. Retrieved 2010-05-22.
- "TuFace Checks Piracy With Classy Album Price". tribune.com.ng. Retrieved March 9, 2012.
- "2Face Idibia’s BET International "Welcome to America" Interview". Bellanaija.com. April 27, 2011. Retrieved March 7, 2012.
- "Soundcity Music Video Awards 2010 – The Winner’s Circle". thenetng.com. November 22, 2010. Retrieved March 9, 2012.
- "Fally Ipupa & Tuface Idibia lead MTV Africa Music Awards winners 2010". museke.com. December 12, 2010. Retrieved April 9, 2012.
- "Tuface Idibia opens up on why he left Kennis music". Nigerianewsdaily.com. October 28, 2011. Retrieved March 9, 2012.
- "Hands Across The World Video – ONE8 with R. Kelly". Rnbmusicblog.com. November 19, 2010. Retrieved March 9, 2012.
- "Tuface Idibia recuperating and fine". nigeriavillagesquare.com. October 9, 2007. Retrieved April 9, 2012.
- "2face Idibia and Annie Macaulay wed secretly". thenetng.com. May 4, 2012. Retrieved May 4, 2012.
- "Annie, anointed queen of a shooting star". punchng.com. February 17, 2012. Retrieved March 3, 2012.
- "'2Face' Idibia: Message behind the music". edition.cnn.com. November 29, 2011. Retrieved March 6, 2012.
- "NAFDAC appoints 2face Ambassador". vanguardngr.com. September 18, 2009. Retrieved March 9, 2012.
- "2Face Idibia and NAFDAC tackle fake and sub-standard food and drug products in Nigeria with "Man Unkind"". Bellanaija.com. April 11, 2011. Retrieved March 9, 2012.
- "Human capital". Nigeriafirst.org. April 16, 2009. Retrieved March 11, 2012.
- 2Face Puts Nigeria On Musical Map
- Africa Kora Awards 2005 winners
- Mobo Awards 2007: Winners
- TuFace, Sasha & Others represent Nigeria at the World Music Awards in Monaco
- (MAMAs) 2009 winners
- 6 Nigerians Bring Home the Awards
- 2Face clinches’s double awards
- Hurray for Nigeria! 2Face & D’banj win the Best International Act (Africa) award at the 2011 BET Awards
- The 2011 Headies
- (MAMAs) 2009 nominees
- Channel O 2011 MVA's - all the nominees
- "Mafikizolo, Uhuru, Davido lead nominations for MTV Africa Music Awards". Sowetan LIVE. Retrieved 2014-04-17.
- Official website
- 2Face Idibia on Facebook
- 2Face Idibia on Twitter
- 2face Idibia's channel on YouTube
- Tuface Idibia at the Internet Movie Database
- 2Face Idibia's artist page on Trace TV
- 2Face's page on Iwantairplay.com
- 2Face Idibia on Myspace
- 2face Idibia on Global Hit Music
- 2Face's page on Gbedunation
- 2face on Naijapals
- 2Face Idibia lyrics, audio, video, information
- 2face arrived in Barbados, West Indies, September 13, 2007
- Pricing: Omotola, Ruggedman, Others Follow 2face’s Lead
- Nigeria pop star 2Face Idibia calls for crackdown on pirates
- CNN African Voices November 30, 2011
- Talk Time Africa with 2Face Idibia