31st AVN Awards
|31st AVN Awards|
|Date||January 18, 2014|
Hard Rock Hotel and Casino, Paradise, Nevada
|Most awards||Underworld (9)|
|Most nominations||Underworld (17)|
The ceremony was held January 18, 2014, at The Joint in the Hard Rock Hotel and Casino, Paradise, Nevada. Movies or products released between October 1, 2012 and October 7, 2013 were eligible. Comedienne/actress Rebekah Kochan and adult movie actresses Chanel Preston, who was co-winner of "Most Outrageous Sex Scene", and Samantha Saint hosted the AVN Awards. The awards show was held immediately after the Adult Entertainment Expo at the same venue.
Tommy Pistol was named Best Actor for his performance as Ashley J. Wiliams in adult horror film Evil Head. The coveted AVN Female Performer of the Year Award and AVN Best New Starlet Award went to Bonnie Rotten and Mia Malkova respectively. Axel Braun won Director of the Year for a record fourth consecutive time and Manuel Ferrara was awarded a record fifth Male Performer of the Year award. The new category of BBW Performer of the Year was won by April Flores. The Clever Title of the Year award was won by Seymore Butts for Cirque du Hole-A.
- 1 Winners and nominees
- 2 Honorary AVN Awards
- 3 Multiple awards and nominations
- 4 Presenters and performers
- 5 Ceremony information
- 6 In Memoriam
- 7 See also
- 8 Notes
- 9 External links
Winners and nominees
Winners of categories announced during the awards ceremony January 18, 2014, are highlighted in boldface.
|Movie of the Year||Female Performer of the Year|
(Rather than nominees for this category, contenders are chosen from the winners in the "Best Release" categories such as Best Gonzo Release, Best Vignette and several others. Voting is conducted separately just prior to the awards ceremony.)
|Male Performer of the Year||Transsexual Performer of the Year|
|Director of the Year||Best New Starlet|
|Best Actor||Best Actress|
|Best BDSM Movie||Best Drama|
|Best Parody - Comedy||Best Parody - Drama|
|Best Star Showcase||Best Romance Release|
|Best Anal Sex Scene||Best Oral Sex Scene|
|Best Boy/Girl Sex Scene||Best Sex Scene in a Foreign-Shot Production|
|Best Girl-Girl Sex Scene||The Fan Awards - Hottest Ass|
Additional Award Winners
These awards were not presented during the awards ceremony itself but were announced before or after the show. In addition, Best 3D Release, Best Classic Release and Best Selling Title of the Year were on the list of award categories but were not presented in 2014.
Video Categories (continued)
Video Body of Work Categories
Fan Awards Categories
Pleasure Products Categories
Retail and Distribution Categories
Web & Technology Categories
Honorary AVN Awards
The Reuben Sturman Award for battling for industry rights was not presented in 2014.
Wicked Pictures founder Steve Orenstein was chosen to receive the third annual Visionary Award for "ethics, civic responsibility, an eye for quality and innovation, and a compassionate understanding of adult entertainment and its place in mainstream society".
Hall of Fame
The AVN Awards Hall of Fame inductees, "all of whom have attained not only longevity but also something more important: memorable achievements in front of the camera, behind the camera and back in the office," for 2014 were:
- Founders Branch: Kevin Beechum, founder of content production/distribution company K-Beech; Ted Blitt, founder of Mile High Media; Morty Gordon, founder of Bizarre Video.
- Video Branch: Barrett Blade, producer Shylar Cobi, Digital Playground director Robby D., Stormy Daniels, Ben English, Melissa Hill, Mike John, Katsuni, Scott Lyons, Nick Manning, Eric Masterson, Mr. Pete, director Bobby Rinaldi, Taylor St. Claire & Wendy Williams.
- Executive Branch: Distributor Jerry E. of Juicy Entertainment and Exquisite Multimedia, Adam H. of Pleasure Productions, and Ed Kail & Marty Turkel.
- Pleasure Product Branch: Lavi Yedid of NS Novelties; Robert Pyne Sr., founder of distribution company Williams Trading; and Rachel Venning & Claire Cavanah of adult retailer Babeland.
- Internet Founders Branch: Angie Rowntree, founder of Sssh.com; Freeones.com founder Maurice; Mark "Greenguy" Jenkins of Link-O-Rama.com.
Multiple awards and nominations
The following releases received multiple awards:
The following releases received the most nominations:
The following individuals received multiple awards:
The following individuals received the most nominations (includes fan voting nominations & excludes producer nominations):
Presenters and performers
The following individuals were presenters or performers during the awards ceremony:
With the strong showing in awards categories by feature movies, Adult Video News proclaimed them alive and well: "Despite mumbling that features and parodies have run their course, several were big winners this year, including Underworld, Grease XXX, Temptation of Eve and Man of Steel XXX."
Changes to awards categories
Beginning with the 31st AVN Awards, several new categories were introduced to reflect evolving market trends, including:
- Best Safe Sex Scene
- Best Condom Manufacturer
- All-Girl Performer of the Year
- BBW Performer of the Year
- Best Web Director
Meanwhile, the Best Photography Website category was renamed Best Glamour Website "to include sites that also feature glamorous video content." Unsung Starlet of the Year was renamed Unsung Female Performer of the Year, Best New Production Company became Best New Studio and Crossover Star of the Year became Mainstream Star of the Year.
Fan vote categories increased from four to 10 and the categories themselves were completely changed, from Favorite Body, Twitter Queen, Favorite Porn Star and Best Free Adult Website, to the following:
AVN also added another category to its Hall of Fame: "the Executive Branch, for key members of the industry who work behind the scenes" such as in sales, marketing or education.
Best Celebrity Sex Tape and Best Internal Release were dropped on this year's list of categories.
Reception and review
Richard Abowitz, who covers the adult industry for The Daily Beast termed the show "lackluster", noting, "Though long-billed as the Academy Awards for the adult industry, few take that label seriously anymore. The massive decline in the porn industry’s fortunes thanks to regulatory challenges and piracy and the infinity of sex offerings on the Internet have left the remains of the mainstream porn industry closer to the cheesy and sleazy parody of the other Hollywood that defined porn’s golden era of the '80s."
ExpressMilwaukee sexuality blogger Laura Anne Stuart expressed mixed feelings about the new BBW Performer of the Year award category: "On one hand, I’m glad that the most well-known adult industry awards are recognizing that larger women are sexy and sexual. On the other hand, this probably means that the Best Actress and Female Performer of the Year categories will continue to be won by skinny people with preternaturally large boobs and/or butts."
As the show was beginning, AVN used a segment to pay a tribute to adult-industry personalities who had died since the 2013 awards show, including Screw publisher Al Goldstein and producer/distributor Morty Gordon.
- Adult Video News Awards
- AVN Female Performer of the Year Award
- AVN Best New Starlet Award
- List of AVN Award winners
- List of members of the AVN Hall of Fame
- "2014 AVN Awards: The Feature's Not Dead (Neither Is the Parody)". Adult Video News. January 21, 2014. Retrieved January 26, 2014.
- "Q+A: 2014 AVN Awards co-host Chanel Preston previews ‘Oscars of Porn’". Las Vegas Sun. January 17, 2014. Retrieved January 20, 2014.
- "Chanel Preston, Samantha Saint to Co-Host 2014 AVN Awards". Adult Video News. April 2, 2013. Retrieved December 9, 2013.
- "AVN Awards Names Comedienne/Actress Rebekah Kochan Comedy Co-Host". Adult Video News. December 11, 2013. Retrieved December 11, 2013.
- "Dana DeArmond, Nicole Aniston To Host AVN Awards Red Carpet". Adult Video News. January 6, 2014. Retrieved January 19, 2014.
- "Nominations for 2014 AVN Awards Released". Adult Video News. December 6, 2013. Retrieved January 19, 2014.
- "2014 AVN Awards Pre-Nomination Site Opens". Adult Video News. September 20, 2013. Retrieved January 19, 2014.
- "AVN Announces the Winners of the 2014 AVN Awards". Adult Video News. 2014-01-19. Retrieved 2014-01-19.
- "'Oscars of Porn' Recognize Plus-Size Performers". The Shepherd Express (“ExpressMilwaukee”). January 22, 2014. Retrieved January 26, 2014.
- "Seymore Butts Wins AVN Clever Title Award For ‘Cirque Du Hole A’". UPROXX Media. January 20, 2014. Retrieved January 20, 2014.
- AVNawards.com "2014 AVN Award Nominees"
- "AVN Award Nominations 2014: Individual Performer Awards". blog.iafd.com. Retrieved December 27, 2014.
- "AVN Award Nominations 2014: Best Movies". blog.iafd.com. Retrieved December 27, 2014.
- "AVN Award Nominations 2014: Best Scenes". blog.iafd.com. Retrieved December 27, 2014.
- "AVN Unveils First-Ever Movie of the Year Award". Adult Video News. January 11, 2012. Retrieved January 13, 2013.
- "AVN Honors Steve Orenstein with 3rd Annual Visionary Award". Adult Video News. November 21, 2013. Retrieved December 9, 2013.
- "AVN Announces 2014 Hall of Fame Inductees". Adult Video News. December 26, 2013. Retrieved January 19, 2014.
- "AVN Names Evi Fox, Emily Austin 2014 AVN Awards Trophy Girls" (Press release). Adult Video News. November 27, 2013. Retrieved January 19, 2014.
- "Rapper Machine Gun Kelly Enlisted as 2014 AVN Awards Music Act". Adult Video News. January 9, 2014. Retrieved January 19, 2014.
- "Nominees Announced, Site Open for 2014 AVN Awards Fan Voting". Adult Video News. November 15, 2013. Retrieved January 19, 2014.
- "2014 AVN/AEE photos: It’s a(n) (un)wrap with sexy glamour on ‘Oscars of Porn’ red carpet". Las Vegas Sun. January 22, 2014. Retrieved January 26, 2014.
- "My Night at the NSFW Oscars". The Daily Beast. January 22, 2014. Retrieved January 26, 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to AVN Awards 2014.|