321st Special Tactics Squadron
||This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (December 2012)|
|321st Special Tactics Squadron|
321st STS unit emblem
|Country||United States of America|
|Branch||United States Air Force|
|Type||Special Operations Force|
The 321st Special Tactics Squadron is an active land based unit, within the 352d Special Operations Group (352 SOG), United States Air Force, United States European Command, and is based at Royal Air Force base, RAF Mildenhall, in Suffolk, eastern England.
This squadron, combined with the airborne units in the 352d Special Operations Group allow the group to be capable of handling situations within a 4,300 km (2,700 mi) range of RAF Mildenhall, or further with fuel stops, and make up the special operations forces element of the United States Air Forces in Europe. Their specialized training, and support structure, make them a very versatile unit within the armed forces.
The 321st Special Tactics Squadron are the front line troops of the 352 SOG, and are the most versatile and highly trained airmen in the United States Air Force. Their duties include close in reconnaissance and investigation of possible landing sites, quickly securing/identifying/neutralizing ground targets, as well as reinforcement or extraction of troops under extreme circumstances, and medical evacuations.
- Constituted as 321st Fighter Control Squadron, and activated, on 15 May 1943. Inactivated on 16 Nov 1945. Disbanded on 8 Oct 1948.
- Reconstituted, and redesignated as 321st Special Tactics Squadron, on 20 Feb 1992. Activated on 31 Mar 1992.
- I Fighter Command, 15 May 1943;
- IX Fighter Command, 8 Jan 1944;
- IX Air Support Command (later, IX Tactical Air Command), 1 Feb 1944;
- IX Air Defense Command, 25 Apr 1944 (attached to IX Tactical Air Command, 12 Oct-4 Nov 1944);
- IX Tactical Air Command, 5 Nov 1944;
- XII Tactical Air Command, 25 Jul 1945;
- unkn, 25 Oct-16 Nov 1945.
- 720th Special Tactics Group, 31 Mar 1992;
- 352d Special Operations Group, 1 Jan 1993 – present
- Bradley Field, CT, 15 May-21 Dec 1943;
- Aldermaston, England, 13 Jan 1944;
- Keevil, England, 25 Jan 1944;
- Beaulieu, England, 11 Mar 1944;
- Newcastle-upon-Tyne, England, 10 May 1944;
- Bournemouth, England, 30 Jun 1944;
- Le Vast, France, 16 Aug 1944;
- Eure et Loir, France, 30 Aug 1944;
- Ozoir la Ferriere, France, 5 Sep 1944;
- Hun, Belgium, c. 6 Oct 1944;
- Verviers, Belgium, 12 Nov 1944;
- Liege, Belgium, 19 Dec 1944;
- Verviers, Belgium, 21 Jan 1945;
- Bruhl[disambiguation needed], Germany, 26 Mar 1945;
- Gottingen, Germany, 11 Apr 1945;
- Nohra, Germany, 25 Apr 1945;
- Fritzlar, Germany, 25 Jun 1945-unkn;
- Camp Myles Standish, MA, 15–16 Nov 1945.
- RAF Alconbury, England, 31 Mar 1992;
- RAF Mildenhall, England, 17 Feb 1995 – present