The 396th Bombardment Group is an inactive United States Air Force unit. It was last assigned to the Third Air Force, being stationed at Drew Field, Florida. It was inactivated on 1 May 1944.
Activated during World War II initially as a Second Air Force B-17 Flying Fortress operational training unit (OTU). Reassigned to Third Air Force in November 1943 as a replacement training unit (RTU) when Second Air Force switched to B-29 Superfortress training.
- Constituted as 396th Bombardment Group (Heavy) on 29 January 1943
- Activated on 16 February 1943.
- Inactivated on 1 May 1944
- 592d Bombardment Squadron: 1943–1944
- 593d Bombardment Squadron: 1943–1944
- 594th Bombardment Squadron: 1943–1944
- 595th Bombardment Squadron: 1943–1944
This article incorporates public domain material from websites or documents of the Air Force Historical Research Agency.
- Maurer, Maurer (1983). Air Force Combat Units Of World War II. Maxwell AFB, Alabama: Office of Air Force History. ISBN 0-89201-092-4.