3D lookup table
In the film industry, 3D lookup tables (3D LUTs) are used to map one colour space to another. They are commonly used to calculate preview colors for a monitor or digital projector of how an image will be reproduced on another display device, typically the final digitally projected image or release print of a movie. A 3D LUT is a 3D lattice of output RGB color values that can be indexed by sets of input RGB colour values. Each axis of the lattice represents one of the three input color components and the input color thus defines a point inside the lattice. Since the point may not be on a lattice point, the lattice values must be interpolated; most products use trilinear interpolation.
3D LUTs are used extensively in the movie production chain, as part of the Digital Intermediate process.
Cubes may be of various sizes and bit depths. Often 17×17×17 cubes are used as 3D LUTs. The most common practice is to use RGB 10-bit/component log images as the input to the 3D LUT. Output is usually RGB values that are to be placed unchanged into a display device's buffer.
Modern graphics cards have direct support for 3D LUTs, allowing entire HD images to be processed at 60 fps or faster.
- Selan, Jeremy (2004). "Using Lookup Tables to Accelerate Color Transformations" GPU Gems 2, Chapter 24. http://http.developer.nvidia.com/GPUGems2/gpugems2_chapter24.html ISBN 0-321-33559-7
- Using LUTs An introduction to 1D and 3D LUTs and their use.
Some systems for 3D LUT Generation
- Cine-tal cineSpace 3D LUT generation software for film color management
- FilmLight Truelight color management system
- Light Illusion LightSpace CMS for full colour management.
- DispcalGUI DispcalGUI is a graphical user interface for the Argyll CMS display calibration utilities.
It creates icc and icm monitor profile and can convert it into IRIDAS .cube and Autodesk .3dl 3D LUT (free software).
Some systems supporting 3D LUTs
- Adobe Photoshop CS6 image manipulation software (new feature: Color Lookup).
- Adobe SpeedGrade Color Grading & Lookdesign software
- Apple Shake compositing software
- ARRI ARRILASER Film rekorder, ARRICUBE Color Management System
- BARCO BARCO RHDM-P Series High-Definition Reference Monitor
- Assimilate SCRATCH color grading system
- Autodesk Media and Entertainment Flint, Flame, Inferno, Smoke, Fire, and Lustre, Composite
- Avid DS digital mastering system
- Blackmagic Design DaVinci Resolve
- CHROME Imaging MATRIX Color Correction and Dustbusting Solutions
- Cine-tal Cinemage monitor and eLuma LUT processor
- Digital Vision Film Master, Data Conform and all software products
- Digital Film Technology LUTher 3D LUT processor
- DVS Clipster digital mastering systems
- Eyeon Fusion compositing software
- FilmLight Baselight color grading system and Truelight LUT processor
- The Foundry Nuke compositing software
- Gamma and Density 3cP on-set color grading system
- Interactive Effects Piranha Cinema visual effects system and Piranha Player
- IRIDAS SpeedGrade and FrameCycler
- FotoKem nextLAB nextLAB Mobile
- OpenColorIO Open Source Color Management for visual-effects and animation
- Pandora Revolution and Pixi color grading systems
- Pandora Pluto Display Management and Calibration System
- ProxyMill Automated video compression for HD digital media software
- Quantel color grading system
- Tcube FIG LUT processor
- TVLogic XVM-245W monitor
- YoYotta YoYo
- Briz LUT Converter easy tool to convert LUT files, supports many various format
- Avid Media Composer Avid Media Composer v7
|This article related to film or motion picture terminology is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|