|This article does not cite any references or sources. (February 2014)|
3D Wayfinder application
|Developer(s)||3D Technologies R&D Ltd|
|Operating system||Microsoft Windows|
|Available in||Chinese (Simplified), Chinese (Traditional), English, French, German, Italian, Spanish|
|Type||digital signage, Indoor positioning system, Interactive kiosk, 3D modeling|
3D Wayfinder is a digital building directory application used to help visitors to navigate in large public buildings (shopping centers, airports, train stations, hospitals, universities etc.) 3D Wayfinder uses a 3D model of a building and renders it in real-time, showing also different information layers. Software can be used on interactive kiosks or as a mobile application.
3D Wayfinder enables users to visualize the route from users' position to searched location. At the same time users can zoom, rotate and change floors of building's 3D map. All the existing objects - like escalators, doors, elevators, trees, stairs etc. can be included on the 3D map. Displayed floor plans can be switched and usually the roof of the building is also included on the 3D model of the building to provide better understanding of the building and map direction.
3D Wayfinder engines
3D Wayfinder is using Unity3D (game engine) as the 3D engine. The 3D Wayfinder application can be embedded easily to the users website. It works with most common web browsers (Mozilla, IE, Safari etc.) under Windows or Mac. The Unity Web Player plug-in installation is required.
- Kiosk solution works on Windows 7 machines;
- Mobile application runs on Android and iOS devices;
- Web version runs on all modern browsers that have HTML5 support or installed Unity Web Player.
- 3D, semi 3D or 2D map;
- Fast search engine – instantly find anything You’re looking for;
- Pinch zoom and rotate the 3D map and move in all directions;
- “You are here” spot – indicates user`s current location;
- Graphical route animation;
- Realtime 3D walkthrough;
- Route and coupons printout;
- Multilingual – Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Hindi, Russian, Spanish are just a few examples;
- Content Management System for remote management;
- Statistics of usage – tenant popularity, language popularity, popular search keywords, most popular advertisements;
- Custom user interface;
- Possible to integrate with different physical devices – proximity sensors, speakers, printers and others;
- Multiple integrations are possible – social networks, timetables, clock, weather, transportation, websites, campaigns and others.
3D Wayfinder is also a channel for communicating with customers. It is possible to add three types of advertisements:
- Banner ads (images, videos, animation etc.)
- Highlighted directory items with additional ad text (similar to Google Sponsored Links)
- Small pop-up banners in the 3D plan.
3D Wayfinder application is used by many shopping malls around Europe to guide visitors and keep tenant information up to date.