3rd Sculpture International
3rd Sculpture International was an exhibition of sculpture that included works from 250 sculptors from around the world. It was "organized by the Fairmount Park Art Association (now the Association for Public Art) under the terms of a bequest made to the Association by the late Ellen Phillips Samuel." It was held at the Philadelphia Museum of Art in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA from May 15 to September 11, 1949.
The June 20, 1949 edition of LIFE Magazine featured a photograph taken on the interior staircase of the museum featuring 70 of the sculptors as well as a number of their works. It was taken by Herbert Gehr on May 14, 1949. An intensive search is currently (2002 through 2015) underway to identify the artists included in the photograph (see discussion page).
Sculptors who exhibited
Among the sculptors who exhibited were Connor Barrett, Richmond Barthé, Alexander Calder, Cornellia Van A. Chapin, Robert Cronbach, Jo Davidson, Jacob Epstein, Mitchell Fields, Vincent Glinsky, Chaim Gross, Nathaniel Kaz, Jacques Lipchitz, Pablo Picasso, Concetta Scaravaglione, Mitzi Solomon, William Steig, A.A. Weinman, Robert Weinman, and William Zorach.
- 3rd Sculpture International checklist.
- Bach, Penny Balkin, Public Art in Philadelphia, Temple University Press, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 1992
- Fairmount Park Art Association 3rd Sculpture International, Press Report, 1949
- Kvaran, Einar Einarsson, Who Are These People? unpublished research into the 70 sculptors photographed by LIFE Magazine
- LIFE Magazine, June 20, 1949