3rd Street, Los Angeles
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2013)|
3rd Street in Los Angeles is a major east-west thoroughfare. The west end is in downtown Beverly Hills by Santa Monica Boulevard, and the east is at Alameda Street in Downtown Los Angeles, where it shares a one-way couplet with 4th Street. East of Alameda it becomes 4th Street, where it heads to East Los Angeles, where it turns back into 3rd Street upon crossing Indiana Street. 3rd Street eventually becomes Pomona Boulevard in Monterey Park, where it then turns into Potrero Grande Drive and finally turns into Rush Street in Rosemead and ends in El Monte.
3rd Street passes along the south side of The Grove and "The Original" Farmers Market at Fairfax Avenue, near the headquarters of The Writers Guild of America, West. There are also many other restaurants, boutiques, and antique stores on this specific strip of 3rd Street, which is less upscale and more relaxed than nearby Robertson Boulevard and Melrose Avenue.
3rd Street is parallel to two other major thoroughfares, Wilshire Boulevard to the south and Beverly Boulevard to the north. It is four lanes wide east of Doheny Drive, and passes through the same communities as Wilshire Boulevard.
Located on 3rd Street
From east to west:
- Bradbury Building
- Million Dollar Theater
- St. Vincent Medical Center
- Marlborough School
- Yeshiva Aharon Yaakov-Ohr Eliyahu (formerly Daniel Murphy High School)
- Park La Brea
- Farmers Market and The Grove
- Writers Guild of America, West
- Joan's on Third
- Beverly Center
- Cedars-Sinai Medical Center
Education and transportation
- Los Angeles Board of Education Headquarters
- Evelyn Thurman Gratts Elementary School, 3rd Street and Lucas Avenue
- Miguel Contreras Learning Complex, 3rd Street and Lucas Avenue
- Metro Local bus lines 16 and 316 serve west 3rd Street. Montebello Transit line 40 serves east 3rd Street.
- Exact location of East 3rd Street in Downtown Los Angeles
- Zappa, Moon Unit (2001-11-18), ONE STREET AT A TIME; Positively Third Street, The New York Times, retrieved 2008-11-04[dead link]
- Time Schedule: Lines 016/316 -- Downtown Los Angeles - Century City via 3rd St (12/14/08)