42 Below is a brand of vodka from New Zealand. It is marketed by 42 Below Limited, which is owned by the New Zealand subsidiary of Bacardi Limited. The product is available in flavours including feijoa, mānuka honey, passionfruit, and kiwifruit.
On 27 September 2006, 42 Below Limited received a takeover offer from Bacardi Limited at 77 cents per share. This placed the company value at NZ$138 million. The takeover received over 90% shareholder acceptance of the offer. As of 2014[update], 42 Below Limited is a wholly owned member of the Bacardi group. Barcardi Limited is the largest privately held, family-owned spirits company in the world.
The vodka was introduced to the US market in 2006, focused on New York, Los Angeles, and Austin.
42 Below used to be a little stronger than most other vodkas (84 proof). It uses a process that is closest to the grain (wheat) based vodka of Scandinavia. 42 Below is made from GE-free wheat. The alcoholic content is now reduced to meet government tax levels, so gets a lower tax hence allows it compete with other big brands. The name is supposed to refer to the southern latitude where it is produced just north of Wellington on the country's 42nd parallel and also to its 42% alcohol content.
South gin is an associated brand of gin marketed by 42 Below Limited. South gin is flavoured with juniper berries, lemon, orange, coriander seeds, angelica leaves, orris, gentian root, and two New Zealand natives, kawakawa leaves and manuka berries.
42 Below Limited also produces Seven Tiki rum and Tahiti dark rum, and bottle '420' spring water, the water used to make 42 Below vodka.
- "Bacardi offer for 42 Below accepted". TVNZ. One News. 14 December 2006. Retrieved 24 April 2014.
- "42 Below tops new Deloitte/Unlimited Fast 50". The National Business Review. 21 October 2005. Retrieved 24 April 2014.
- Hunter, Tim (20 October 2012). "Craft brewer aims big, but likely to be swallowed". Stuff. Fairfax NZ News. Retrieved 24 April 2014. "When 42 Below raised $15.5m in its October 2003 IPO, it had revenue of just $504,000 for the 11 months to March 2003, producing a loss of $589,000."
- "42 Below gets takeover offer from Bacardi". New Zealand Herald. New Zealand Press Association. 27 September 2006. Retrieved 24 April 2014.
- Graham, Colleen. "42 Below Flavored Vodkas - Manuka Honey and Kiwi". About.com. Retrieved 24 April 2014.
- "Top 10 Gin Brands". Top 100 Arena. 12 June 2012. Retrieved 24 April 2014.
- "Best Gin Brands". Gin Wisdom. Retrieved 24 April 2014.