- See also the Big Block Engine of the same size (454.2 Cubic Inches or 7.443 Liters).
|Centuries:||4th century – 5th century – 6th century|
|Decades:||420s 430s 440s – 450s – 460s 470s 480s|
|Years:||451 452 453 – 454 – 455 456 457|
|454 by topic|
|State leaders – Sovereign states|
|Birth and death categories|
|Births – Deaths|
|Establishment and disestablishment categories|
|Establishments – Disestablishments|
|Ab urbe condita||1207|
|Chinese calendar||癸巳年 (Water Snake)
3150 or 3090
— to —
甲午年 (Wood Horse)
3151 or 3091
|- Vikram Samvat||510–511|
|- Shaka Samvat||376–377|
|- Kali Yuga||3555–3556|
|Iranian calendar||168 BP – 167 BP|
|Islamic calendar||173 BH – 172 BH|
|Minguo calendar||1458 before ROC
|Seleucid era||765/766 AG|
|Thai solar calendar||996–997|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 454.|
Year 454 (CDLIV) was a common year starting on Friday (link will display the full calendar) of the Julian calendar. At the time, it was known as the Year of the Consulship of Aetius and Studius (or, less frequently, year 1207 Ab urbe condita). The denomination 454 for this year has been used since the early medieval period, when the Anno Domini calendar era became the prevalent method in Europe for naming years.
- September 21 – Emperor Valentinian III stabs his commander-in-chief Flavius Aetius to death during a meeting of the imperial council at Ravenna. He has accused Aetius of plotting against him to seize power. After his assassination the Western Roman Empire has no effective defender against its hostile barbarian neighbors (Alans, Franks, Ostrogoths, Vandals and Visigoths).
- Battle of Nedao: Allied forces of subjected peoples (Gepids, Heruli, Ostrogoths, Rugii, Scirii and Suebi) under leadership of king Ardaric defeat the Huns under Ellac, eldest son of Attila the Hun, in Pannonia. Ellac is killed during the battle and succeeded by his brother Dengizich.
- Ardaric unites the Gepids with other Germanic tribes and founds in the Pannonian Basin the Kingdom of the Gepids.
- The Vandals conquer Malta.
- Ireland: The Diocese of Clogher is erected.
- Theodoric the Great, king of the Ostrogoths (d. 526)
- Xian Wen Di, Chinese emperor of Northern Wei (d. 476)
- Ellac, king of the Huns
- September 17 – Dioscorus the Great, patriarch of Alexandria
- September 21 – Flavius Aetius, Roman general (magister militum)
- Justa Grata Honoria, sister of Valentinian III (approximate date)