|Centuries:||4th century – 5th century – 6th century|
|Decades:||420s 430s 440s – 450s – 460s 470s 480s|
|Years:||455 456 457 – 458 – 459 460 461|
|458 by topic|
|State leaders – Sovereign states|
|Birth and death categories|
|Births – Deaths|
|Establishment and disestablishment categories|
|Establishments – Disestablishments|
|Ab urbe condita||1211|
|Bahá'í calendar||−1386 – −1385|
|English Regnal year||N/A|
|Chinese calendar||丁酉年 (Fire Rooster)
3154 or 3094
— to —
戊戌年 (Earth Dog)
3155 or 3095
|- Vikram Samvat||514–515|
|- Shaka Samvat||380–381|
|- Kali Yuga||3559–3560|
|Igbo calendar||−542 – −541|
|Iranian calendar||164 BP – 163 BP|
|Islamic calendar||169 BH – 168 BH|
|Minguo calendar||1454 before ROC
|Thai solar calendar||1001|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 458.|
Year 458 (CDLVIII) was a common year starting on Wednesday (link will display the full calendar) of the Julian calendar. At the time, it was known as the Year of the Consulship of Maiorianus and Leo (or, less frequently, year 1211 Ab urbe condita). The denomination 458 for this year has been used since the early medieval period, when the Anno Domini calendar era became the prevalent method in Europe for naming years.
- Emperor Majorian builds a Roman fleet at Miseno and Ravenna. He strengthens the army, by recruiting a large number of barbarian mercenaries (Bastarnae, Burgundians, Huns, Ostrogoths, Rugii, Scythians and Suebi).
- Summer – The Vandals land in Campania, at the mouth of the Lire or the Garigliano River, and devastate the region. Majorian personally leads the Roman army and defeats the invaders near Sinuessa, destroying their ships on the seashore, loaded with booty.
- Battle of Arelate: Majorian defeats the Visigoths under king Theodoric II at Arles (Southern Gaul) near the Rhone River. Theodoric is forced to sign a peace treaty and becomes a foederatus (pl. foederati) of the Western Roman Empire.
- Winter – Majorian enters the Rhone Valley and defeats the Burgundians under king Gondioc at Lugdunum. He forces the Bagaudae to join the western coalition against the Suebi in Spain.
Exploration and Colonization
- The city of Tbilisi (Georgia) on the Kura River is founded by king Vakhtang I of Iberia. Its location gives it control of the trade routes between western and eastern Transcaucasia.
- Damascius, Syrian neoplatonist (approximate date)
- Xiao Zhangmao, crown prince of Southern Qi (d. 493)