The most well-known and frequently visited such point is Rietbrock, Wisconsin near the unincorporated community of Poniatowski. A geographic marker has been placed there by the Marathon County Park Commission. With the increase in use of personal GPS devices, the sign was amended to clarify that the actual 45×90 point is actually approximately 1063 feet (324 m) away in a field behind the sign; the location of the marker was chosen because of its proximity to the road.in the town of
The point has become something of a pop culture phenomenon thanks to Gesicki's Tavern in the tiny cluster of establishments in Poniatowski. They once sold 45×90 T-shirts and registered visitors as members of the "45x90 Club". Since 2006, the Wausau/Central Wisconsin Convention & Visitors Bureau has been the holder of the official "45x90 Club" registration book. The book is on loan from the Gesicki family. Upon becoming a member of the "45x90 Club", the Wausau/Central Wisconsin Convention & Visitors Bureau will give new members a commemorative coin.
The only other 45×90 point on land is Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region near the Mongolian border, some 240 km (150 mi) northeast of Ürümqi. Administratively, it is on the border of Qitai and Qinggil Counties. Greg Michaels, an American, and Ru Rong Zhao, a taxi driver from the closest town of Qitai, itself 110 km to the south-southwest, visited this point on April 13, 2004 and documented the visit on the Degree Confluence Project. Their visit shows that there is no monument or any physical sign that recognition has been given to this location.in a desolate region of the
45°S, 90°W and 45°S, 90°E
The two southern hemisphere 45×90 points, Pacific Ocean and Indian Ocean, respectively. In March 2014, the location in the Southern Indian Ocean was the center of a search for missing Malaysia Airlines Flight 370.and are in the southern
- Degree Confluence Project (DCP)
- 45th parallel north
- 45th parallel south
- 90th meridian east
- 90th meridian west
- "Gesicki, John Raymond". Marathon County Historical Society. Retrieved 24 March 2014.
- "Center of the Northwest Hemisphere". Attractions & Landmarks. City of Wausau, Wisconsin. Retrieved 24 March 2014.
- "45°N 90°E". Degree Confluence Project. 13 April 2004. Retrieved 24 March 2014.
- "Malaysia plane search: China checks new 'debris' image". BBC News. 22 March 2014. Retrieved 24 March 2014.
- Murdoch, Lindsay (22 March 2014). "Missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370: Floating debris spotted by Chinese satellite image". The Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 24 March 2014.
- The 45th Parallel, Poniatowski, Wisconsin
- Visit to the 45X90 point in Wisconsin (DCP)
- Visit to the 45X90 point in northwestern China (DCP)