462d Bombardment Squadron
||This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (December 2012)|
|462d Bombardment Squadron|
Emblem of the 462d Bombardment Squadron
|Branch||United States Army Air Forces|
The 462d Bombardment Squadron is an inactive United States Air Force unit. Its last assignment was with 346th Bombardment Group stationed at Kadena Airfield, Okinawa. It was inactivated on 30 June 1946.
Established as a very heavy bomb squadron in 1942. Mission was as an Operational Training Unit (OTU) under II Bomber Command training B-24 replacement pilots and aircrew.
Redesignated a B-29 Superfortress operational squadron in August 1944. Trained under Second Air Force; deployed to the Western Pacific, being assigned to the new Eighth Air Force. Arrived in Okinawa but Japanese Capitulation led to drawdown of Eighth Air Force and the squadron never was engaged in combat.
Flew show-of-force missions over Occupied Japan and aircraft helped evacuate prisoners of war from Japan and China to airfields in the Philippines. Personnel demobilized and aircraft flown to storage in the United States in May 1946 and the unit was inactivated as a paper unit in Okinawa on 30 June.
- Constituted 462d Bombardment Squadron (Heavy) on 1 Jul 1942
- Activated on 6 Jul 1942
- Inactivated on 1 Apr 1944
- Redesignated 462d Bombardment Squadron (Very Heavy) on 4 Aug 1944
- Activated on 18 Aug 1944
- Inactivated on 30 Jun 1946
- Salt Lake City Army Air Base, Utah, 6 Jul 1942
- Casper Army Air Field, Wyoming, 15 Sep 1942-1 Apr 1944
- Dalhart Army Air Field, Texas, 18 Aug 1944
- Pratt Army Airfield, Kansas, 12 Dec 1944-29 Jun 1945
- Kadena Airfield, Okinawa, 13 Aug 1945-30 Jun 1946
- B-17 Flying Fortress, 1942-1943, 1945
- B-24 Liberator, 1943-1944
- B-29 Superfortress, 1945-1946
- C-46 Commando, 1946
- Maurer, Maurer, ed. (1982) . Combat Squadrons of the Air Force, World War II (reprint ed.). Washington, DC: Office of Air Force History. ISBN 0-405-12194-6. LCCN 70605402. OCLC 72556.