4722d Air Defense Group
|4722d Air Defense Group
|Branch||United States Air Force|
|Part of||Air Defense Command|
The 4722d Air Defense Group is a discontinued United States Air Force organization. Its last assignment was with the 27th Air Division at George Air Force Base, California, where it was discontinued in 1958.
The group was formed to provide a single command and support organization for the two fighter interceptor squadrons of Air Defense Command (ADC), that were tenants at George, a Tactical Air Command (TAC) base. It was discontinued when the 327th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron was scheduled to move in 1958, leaving only a single ADC fighter squadron at George.
The group was established as the 4722d Air Defense Group to provide a headquarters for Air Defense Command (ADC) Fighter-Interceptor Squadrons (FIS) stationed at George Air Force Base, California, a Tactical Air Command Base. TAC's 479th Air Base Group (until July 1957) and 839th Air Base Group (after July 1957) acted as host base organizations for the group. The 4722d was assigned the 327th FIS, flying radar equipped and air to air missile armed Convair F-102 Delta Dagger aircraft, and 329th FIS, flying North American F-86 Sabre aircraft which were also radar equipped but armed with HVAR rockets, as its operational components. The 329th FIS upgraded to newer model F-86s in the spring of 1957 which, like the 327th's F-102s, were equipped with data link to tie them in to the Semi-Automatic Ground Environment command and control system. The group was discontinued when the 327th FIS was scheduled to move to Thule AB, Greenland in July 1958, leaving only a single operational ADC squadron at George. Its squadrons were then assigned directly to the 27th Air Division.
- Designated as 4722d Air Defense Group and organized on 1 December 1956
- Discontinued on 25 June 1958
- 27th Air Division, 1 December 1956 – 25 June 1958
- 327th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron, 1 December 1956 – 25 June 1958
- 329th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron, 1 December 1956 – 25 June 1958
- George Air Force Base, California, 1 December 1956 – 25 June 1958
- F-86D 1956-1957
- F-86L 1956-1957
- F-102A 1956-1958
- Lt Col. Harris F. Krause, unknown - 25 Jun 1958
- The two stripes on fuselage represent the Operations Officer's aircraft
- Cornett & Johnson, p. 89
- Mueller, pp. 188-189
- Cornett & Johnson, p. 126
- Maurer, p. 403
- Maurer, p. 406
- "Abstract, History 4722 Air Defense Group, Jan-Jun 1958". Air Force History Index. Retrieved January 19, 2012.
- Cornett, Lloyd H; Johnson, Mildred W (1980). A Handbook of Aerospace Defense Organization, 1946–1980. Peterson AFB, CO: Office of History, Aerospace Defense Center.
- Maurer, Maurer, ed. (1982) . Combat Squadrons of the Air Force, World War II (reprint ed.). Washington, DC: Office of Air Force History. ISBN 0-405-12194-6. LCCN 70605402. OCLC 72556.
- Mueller, Robert (1989). Air Force Bases, Vol. I, Active Air Force Bases Within the United States of America on 17 September 1982. Washington, DC: Office of Air Force History. ISBN 0-912799-53-6.
- Leonard, Barry (2009). History of Strategic Air and Ballistic Missile Defense. , Vol II, 1955-1972. Fort McNair, DC: Center for Military History. ISBN 978-1-43792-131-1.