4731st Air Defense Group
|4731st Air Defense Group|
|Branch||United States Air Force|
|Type||Fighter Interceptor and Warning and Control|
|Part of||Air Defense Command|
The 4731st Air Defense Group is a discontinued United States Air Force organization. Its last assignment was with the 64th Air Division of Air Defense Command (ADC) at Ernest Harmon Air Force Base, Newfoundland, Canada, where it was inactived in 1960. The group was formed in 1957 when ADC assumed responsibility for air defense of Newfoundland from Northeast Air Command and controlled a fighter-interceptor squadron at Harmon and two squadron operating radars at dispersed locations. It was discontinued when Goose Air Defense Sector assumed responsibility for air defense of Newoundland.
The group was formed in 1957 when Air Defense Command (ADC) assumed responsibility for air defense of Newfoundland from Northeast Air Command (NEAC). It was a tenant organization at Ernest Harmon AFB, a Strategic Air Command base, and whose 4081st Air Base Group assumed host base duties from NEAC. The group controlled both radar and fighter squadrons in Canada. Assigned the 61st Fighter-Interceptor Squadron (FIS), flying Northrop F-89 Scorpion aircraft, which was already stationed at Harmon, and two remote Aircraft Control & Warning Squadrons as its operational elements. These units were transferred from NEAC. In October 1957, the 61st FIS moved to Wisconsin to replace the 323d FIS, which moved from Wisconsin in a swap of stations. The 323d FIS, however, flew newer F-102 Delta Daggers, rather than Scorpions. The 4731st provided air defense of northeast North America. The group was discontinued in 1960 and subordinate units assigned to Goose Air Defense Sector.
- Organized as 4731st Air Defense Group on 1 April 1957
- Discontinued on 1 July 1960
- 64th Air Division, 1 April 1957-1 July 1960
- 61st Fighter-Interceptor Squadron, 1 April-15 October 1957
- 323d Fighter-Interceptor Squadron, 15 October 1957-6 June 1960
- 640th Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron, 1 April 1957-6 June 1960, Stephenville AS
- 642d Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron, 1 April 1957-6 June 1960, Red Cliff AS
- Ernest Harmon AFB, Newfoundland, Canada, 1 April 1957 – 1 July 1960
- F-89D 1957
- F-102A 1957-1959
- List of USAF Aerospace Defense Command General Surveillance Radar Stations
- Aerospace Defense Command Fighter Squadrons
- List of United States Air Force aircraft control and warning squadrons
- Cornett, Lloyd H; Johnson, Mildred W (1980). A Handbook of Aerospace Defense Organization, 1946-1980. Peterson AFB, CO: Office of History, Aerospace Defense Center. p. 89.
- Abstract, History of 64th Air Div, Apr 1957-Dec 1957 (accessed 19 Jan 2012)
- Cornett & Johnson, p.117
- Maurer, Maurer, ed. (1982) . Combat Squadrons of the Air Force, World War II (reprint ed.). Washington, DC: Office of Air Force History. p. 237. ISBN 0-405-12194-6.
- Cornett & Johnson, p. 97
- Maurer, p.398
- Cornett & Johnson, p.125
- AFHRA Factsheet, 61st Fighter Squadron (accessed 7 Mar 2012)
- Abstract, History of 4731st Air Def Gp Jan 1958-Dec 1959 (accessed 19 Jan 2012)
- Abstract, History of 4731st Air Def Gp. Jan 1960-Mar 1960 (accessed 19 Jan 2012)
- Cornett, Lloyd H; Johnson, Mildred W (1980). A Handbook of Aerospace Defense Organization, 1946–1980. Peterson AFB, CO: Office of History, Aerospace Defense Center.
- Maurer, Maurer, ed. (1982) . Combat Squadrons of the Air Force, World War II (reprint ed.). Washington, DC: Office of Air Force History. ISBN 0-405-12194-6.
- Leonard, Barry (2009). History of Strategic Air and Ballistic Missiile Defense. Vol II, 1955-1972. Fort McNair, DC: Center for Military History. ISBN 978-1-4379-2131-1.
- Winkler, David F.; Webster, Julie L (1997). Searching the skies: The legacy of the United States Cold War Defense Radar Program. Champaign, IL: US Army Construction Engineering Research Laboratories. LCCN 97020912.