4733d Air Defense Group
|4733d Air Defense Group|
Map of the DEW Line
|Branch||United States Air Force|
|Type||Aircraft Warning and Control|
|Part of||Air Defense Command|
The 4733d Air Defense Group is a discontinued United States Air Force organization. Its last assignment was with the 64th Air Division at Frobisher Bay, Baffin Island, Northwest Territories, Canada, where it was discontinued in 1958. The group was formed in 1957 when ADC assumed responsibility for air defense of Northern Canada from Northeast Air Command, including support for remote Distant Early Warning Line (DEW Line) radar sites. It also controlled two squadrons operating radars at dispersed locations. It was discontinued in 1958 and its DEW Line support mission transferred to the 4601st Support Group and its radar squadrons to the 4732d Air Defense Group in Newfoundland.
The group was organized in the fall of 1957 at Frobisher Bay by Air Defense Command (ADC) when ADC assumed the mission of Northeast Air Command (NEAC) after NEAC's inactivation. The group was assigned two general surveillance radar squadrons, stationed in the high latitudes of northern Canada, which had been assigned directly to NEAC's 64th Air Division. The group's mission was to provide detection and reporting of aircraft in the northern portion of North America and to support Distant Early Warning Line (DEW) radar sites. The group was discontinued in 1958 and the DEW support mission was taken over by 4601st Support Group (DEW), Paramus, New Jersey, while its radar stations were reassigned to the 4732d Air Defense Group at Goose AFB, Labrador.
- Designated as the 4733d Air Defense Group and organized on 1 April 1957
- Discontinued on 1 May 1958
- 64th Air Division, 1 April 1957 – 1 May 1958
- Resolution Island AS, Northern Territories, Canada, 1 April 1957 – 1 May 1958
- Frobisher Bay AB, Northwest Territories, Canada, 1 April 1957 – 1 May 1958
- Frobisher Bay, 1 April 1957 – 1 May 1958
- Lt Col. Homer E. Chatfield, 1 April 1957 - 1 May 1958
- Cornett, Lloyd H; Johnson, Mildred W (1980). A Handbook of Aerospace Defense Organization, 1946-1980. Peterson AFB, CO: Office of History, Aerospace Defense Center. p. 89.
- Cornett & Johnson, p. 104
- Cornett & Johnson, p. 105
- Abstract, History of 64th Air Div, Jan 1958-Jun 1958 (accessed 20 Jan 2012)
- Cornett & Johnson, p. 87
- Abstract, History of 4733rd Air Def Gp, Apr 1957-May 1958 (accessed 20 Jan 2012)
- Cornett, Lloyd H; Johnson, Mildred W (1980). A Handbook of Aerospace Defense Organization, 1946–1980. Peterson AFB, CO: Office of History, Aerospace Defense Center.
- Leonard, Barry (2009). History of Strategic Air and Ballistic Missiile Defense. , Vol II, 1955-1972. Fort McNair, DC: Center for Military History. ISBN 978-1-4379-2131-1.
- Winkler, David F.; Webster, Julie L (1997). Searching the skies: The legacy of the United States Cold War Defense Radar Program. Champaign, IL: US Army Construction Engineering Research Laboratories. LCCN 9720912 Check