47th Tony Awards
|47th Tony Awards|
Official poster for the 47th annual Tony Awards
|Date||June 6, 1993|
|Location||Gershwin Theatre, New York City, New York|
The theme of the ceremony was to commemorate the 100th anniversary of theatre in Times Square, and the telecast opened with a new song, "Celebrate Broadway." The musical presentation was a "Sisters Medley" with sisters Liza Minnelli and Lorna Luft. The finale was Oklahoma!, with 1993 Tony Award winners and Company.
Presenters: Bea Arthur, Tom Bosley, Matthew Broderick, Ellen Burstyn, Diahann Carroll, Michael Crawford, Tyne Daly, Tammy Grimes, Marvin Hamlisch, Julie Harris, Gregory Hines, James Earl Jones, Agnes de Mille, Amanda Plummer, Jonathan Pryce, Mercedes Ruehl, Ron Silver, Lily Tomlin, Tommy Tune, Ben Vereen.
Musicals and Plays represented:
- Blood Brothers (Medley - Company);
- The Goodbye Girl ("Paula" - Bernadette Peters and Martin Short);
- Kiss of the Spider Woman - The Musical ("Where You Are" - Brent Carver, Chita Rivera and Company);
- The Who's Tommy (Medley - Company);
- Angels in America: Millennium Approaches (Scene with Ron Leibman and Kathleen Chalfant);
- The Sisters Rosensweig (Scene with Jane Alexander, Madeline Kahn and Robert Klein);
- Someone Who'll Watch Over Me (Scene with Michael York and David Dukes);
- The Song of Jacob Zulu (Scene with K. Todd Freeman).
Award winners and nominees
Winners are in bold
- Regional Theatre Award - La Jolla Playhouse
- Special Tony Award - Oklahoma! (50th Anniversary)
- Tony Honor