The 488th Bombardment Group is an inactive United States Air Force unit. It was last assigned to the Third Air Force, being stationed at MacDill Field, Florida. It was inactivated on 1 May 1944.
Activated during World War II as a B-17 Flying Fortress aircrew replacement training unit, the vast majority of its graduates deployed to either Eighth or Fifteenth Air Force combat groups in England or Italy. Inactivated in early 1944 as the need for B-17 aircrews diminished.
- Constituted as 488th Bombardment Group (Heavy) on 14 September 1943
- Activated on 1 October 1943
- Disbanded on 1 May 1944
- 818th (formerly 840th) Bombardment Squadron: 1943–1944
- 841st Bombardment Squadron: 1943–1944
- 842d Bombardment Squadron: 1943–1944
- 843d Bombardment Squadron: 1943–1944.
This article incorporates public domain material from websites or documents of the Air Force Historical Research Agency.
- Maurer, Maurer (1983). Air Force Combat Units Of World War II. Maxwell AFB, Alabama: Office of Air Force History. ISBN 0-89201-092-4.
External links