4DX is a motion picture technology owned and developed by South Korean company CJ 4DPLEX, a part of the CJ Group. 4DX allows a motion picture presentation to be augmented with environmental effects such as seat motion, wind, rain, fog, lights, and scents along with the standard video and audio. As such, theaters must be specially designed for and equipped with 4DX technology. The experience was introduced commercially in 2009 with the release of Journey to the Center of the Earth in Seoul, South Korea.
4DX was launched by South Korean theater chain, CJ CGV with the release of New Line Cinema's Journey to the Center of the Earth in Seoul in 2009. In 2010, after the technology's success with the 4DX screening of Avatar, CGV has expanded more theaters throughout South Korea. The company later opened its first 4DX theater in China on 14 April 2012 with the release of Titanic 3D and Vietnam on 21 January 2014, with the release of I, Frankenstein, as part of the completion of the merger with Megastar Cinemas.
On 2 June 2011, Mexican cineplex company, Cinépolis, have invested $25 million and partnered with CJ Group to open up to 11 4DX rooms. The first 4DX room opened at the Plaza Acoxpa mall in Mexico City with the release of Disney's Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, as the first 4DX theater in North America and the Western Hemisphere. The company has later expanded more theaters throughout South American theaters with the releases of Prometheus and Ice Age: Continental Drift on 1 July 2012 in Brazil, DreamWorks Animation's Rise of the Guardians on 12 December 2012 in Peru, and Despicable Me 2 on 5 July 2013 in Colombia. The company opened its first room in Guatemala on 17 December 2013, with the release of The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug, as the first 4DX theater in Central America. The company is set to open its first 4DX theater in India sometime in 2014. In Costa Rica, the company is set to open its first 4DX theater on 14 September 2014 with the release of The Maze Runner.
Cinema City has opened its first 4DX room in Israel on 19 July 2012 at the Yes Planet Rishon Lezion theater, with the release of The Amazing Spider-Man. The company later opened new 4DX theaters throughout Europe. Hungary on 21 March 2013 with the release of The Croods, Bulgaria and the Czech Republic on 22 May 2013 and 23 May 2013, respectively, both opened with the release of Fast & Furious 6, and in Poland on 22 November 2013, with the release of The Hunger Games: Catching Fire.
As of August 2013, the 4DX technology has achieved over 10,000 seats in 16 countries and 58 cities.
On 24 March 2014, CJ 4DPlex has signed a deal with AEG to bring the technology to the United States, as the country's first 4DX theater. It opened at the Regal Cinemas L.A. Live Stadium 14 theater in Los Angeles, operated by the Regal Entertainment Group, on 26 June 2014 with Transformers: Age of Extinction. "Los Angeles was the natural choice for us in making it the first U.S. location to carry 4DX," said Byung Hwan Choi, CEO of CJ 4DPlex "We wanted to bring this experience to where all the movie magic happens. With AEG, owner and host of the world’s most exciting entertainment venues as our strategic partner, we are very much looking forward to welcoming our audiences to a moviegoing experience never before seen in the U.S." It was screened with Marvel Studios' Captain America: The Winter Soldier, and later premiered with Paramount's Transformers: Age of Extinction. On its opening day, all of the 4DX showings were sold out.
- Seat motion (tilt left, tilt right, tilt forward, tilt backward, raise up, drop down)
- Face air jets
- Left and right neck air jets
- Water spray
- Leg tickler
- Back poker
- Scents (from a collection of 1000 scents)
For a motion picture to make use of the 4DX features available in a theater, a 4DX "track" needs to be programmed on top of the existing video and audio tracks. In other words, a 4DX movie is a standard movie with the addition of a 4DX track that controls the 4DX features during playback. The programming of the track is done by CJ 4DPlex, the CJ CGV subsidiary who developed the technology, in some cases with the participation of the studio that originally produced the original movie. Programming a 4DX track into a movie typically takes less than a month.
As of November 2014, the 4DX technology is currently active in 28 countries: South Korea, Venezuela, China, Cambodia, Israel, Thailand, Russia, Mexico, Colombia, Brazil, Peru, Hungary, Japan, Poland, Czech Republic, Guatemala, Bulgaria, Vietnam, Taiwan, Chile, UAE, Croatia, Ukraine, India, Indonesia,United Kingdom and the Philippines, with new theaters being prepared in the United States, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Jordan, Bahamas, Costa Rica.
As of March 2014, CJ 4DPlex have partnered with these following cinema chains:
- CJ CGV (South Korea / China / Vietnam)
- Cinépolis (Mexico / Guatemala / Costa Rica / Brazil / Colombia / Peru / India)
- Major Cineplex (Thailand/Cambodia)
- Cinema Park (Russia)
- Yes Planet (Israel)
- Korona World (Japan)
- Cinema City (Hungary / Czech Republic / Poland / Bulgaria)
- Vieshow Cinemas (Taiwan)
- Cine Hoyts (Chile)
- UME International Cineplex (China)
- Wushang Mall International Cinema (China)
- BAIYU Cinema (China)
- Blitzmegaplex (Indonesia)
- Cinex (Venezuela)
- Planeta Kino (Ukraine)
- VOX Cinemas (United Arab Emirates)
- AEG / Regal Entertainment Group (United States)
- Ayala Malls Cinemas (Philippines)
- Cinema Sunshine (Japan)
- Cineworld (United Kingdom)
- Sharp, Jasper (21 June 2012). "4DX: Here come the feelies". Sight & Sound magazine (British Film Institute). Retrieved 12 January 2013
- Sunhee, Han (5 February 2010). "'Avatar’ goes 4D in Korea | Variety". Variety. Retrieved 6 August 2013.
- "4DX泰坦尼克号网络媒体观影胜利举办 (in Simple Chinese)". CGV China. 17 April 2012. Retrieved 5 April 2014.
- "I- Frankenstein" lần đầu trình chiếu bằng công nghệ 4DX tại Việt Nam (in Vietnamese)
- García Sánchez, Rubén (2 June 2011). "Cinépolis presenta sus salas más costosas". El Economista. Retrieved 16 April 2013.
- Hecht, John (18 July 2011). "Mexico's Cinepolis Going First-class in the U.S.". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 1 June 2013.
- Ventura, Felipe (27 October 2011). "Salas de cinema 4D trazem cheiros e movimento a seu filme 3D, e chegam ao Brasil em 2012". Retrieved 12 April 2013.
- "Sala de cinema 4DX chega ao Brasil". 1 July 2012. Retrieved 21 May 2013.
- Gestión (14 September 2012). "Inaugurarán primera sala de cine 4D en el Perú". Retrieved 12 April 2013.
- Napa, Renzo (12 December 2013). "Se inaugura Sala 4DX en Santa Anita". RPP Noticas. Retrieved 13 December 2013.
- "Cali estrena su sala 4DX - Noticas de Cali - Colombia - EL TIEMPO.COM". El Tiempo (Colombia). 5 July 2013. Retrieved 10 July 2013.
- "Sala de cine 4DX en Guatemala es la primera de Centroamérica". 17 December 2013. Retrieved 18 December 2013.
- "Cinepolis targets to touch 400-screen mark by 2017". The Hindu. 3 February 2014. Retrieved 4 February 2014.
- "Live Chennai: Cinepolis Loom 4DX Technology in India by April". Live Chennai. 15 March 2014. Retrieved 25 March 2014.
- Sánchez, Alexánder (10 September 2014). "‘The Maze Runner’: el primer filme en 4D que veremos en Costa Rica". LA NACIÓN (GRUPO NACIÓN SA). Retrieved 14 September 2014.
- Chan, Hoishan (15 February 2012). "Movie theaters: 10 of the world's best". CNN Travel. Retrieved 12 January 2013.
- Rungfapaisarn, Kwanchai (14 June 2011). "Major Cineplex taking viewers into the fourth dimension". Retrieved 12 April 2013.
- "СИНЕМА ПАРК открывает в Санкт-Петербурге первый суперзал 4DX". 18 December 2012. Retrieved 12 April 2013.
- Hoffman, Zahi (16 July 2013). "How Much is 4DX? (in Hebrew)". Retrieved 5 April 2014.
- Croodék - "Pofonmajmok VS Grug" szinkronos fi (in Hungarian)
- "ENHANCED SMELL-O-VISION COMING TO THEATERS | Studio Briefing". 16 April 2013. Retrieved 5 April 2014.
- Kovatcheva, Neda (23 May 2013). "Новото космическо 4DX кино ще ви изуми (in Bulgarian)". iNews. Retrieved 5 April 2014.
- "Lechtání, vítr, vůně nebo mlha. Mnohasmyslové 4DX kino míří do Česka | zpravy.ihned.cz - Česko" (in Czech). zpravy.ihned.cz. 2013-05-16. Retrieved 2013-12-08.
- "Igrzyska Śmierci: W pierścieniu ognia: Zobacz w technologii 4DX!". Wirtualna Polska. 20 November 2013. Retrieved 5 April 2014.
- "イスが動く！ 水が出る！ 3Dを超えた体感型シアター「4DX」爆誕". 11 April 2013. Retrieved 11 April 2013.
- Blair, Gavin (16 April 2013). "'Iron Man 3' to Become First Film to Play in 4DX Format in Japan". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 16 April 2013.
- Lee Byung Hun in Absolute Cinema Experience by CGV 4DX - YouTube
- "「4DX」影廳在台北 有水有風有味道 全文網址 (in Chinese)". 28 May 2013. Retrieved 28 May 2013.
- "Cine Hoyts confirmó debut de salas con aromas y vibración". Cooperativa.cl. 26 April 2013. Retrieved 9 June 2013.
- Acosta, Cesar (19 July 2013). "Cadena de Cines Hoyts dio a conocer la primera sala 4DX de Chile (in Spanish)". Retrieved 27 March 2014.
- "4DX Achieved Over 10,000 Seats Less Than 3 Years". PRWeb. 9 August 2013. Retrieved 13 August 2013.
- "Blitz Megaplex Hadirkan Bioskop 4DX Pertama di Indonesia". Gatra News. 23 August 2013. Retrieved 5 April 2014.
- "Llega a Venezuela la primera sala de cine con tecnología 4DX". La Verdad. 17 November 2013. Retrieved 13 December 2013.
- "Centro San Ignacio de Caracas tendrá primera sala de cine 4DX de Venezuela | Cochinopop". 12 November 2013. Retrieved 15 November 2013.
- "Frozen se estrena en Cinex 4DX este sábado". 20 December 2013. Retrieved 22 December 2013.
- Noh, Jean (26 September 2013). "CJ extends 4DX cinemas in China". ScreenDaily (subscription required). Retrieved 30 September 2013.
- "Uskoro će biti otvorena prva 4DX kino dvorana u Hrvatskoj (in Croatian)". 4 December 2013. Retrieved 5 December 2013.
- Ukraine's first 4DX cinema opened with the "The Hobbit" (in Ukrainian)
- 4DX by VOX Cinemas in the U.A.E.
- Verrier, Richard (24 March 2014). "CinemaCon: '4-D' theater coming to Regal Cinemas L.A. Live". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 24 March 2014.
- Giardina, Carolyn (24 March 2014). "CinemaCon: L.A. Live's 4D Installation by CJ 4DPlex Expected to Launch Early July". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 25 March 2014.
- Eisenberg, Eric (30 June 2014). "The First 4DX Movie Theater Has Opened In The United States". Cinema Blend (Cinema Blend). Retrieved 31 July 2014.
- "4DX Brings Movie Action Right to Your Seat". ABC News (ABC). 30 June 2014. Retrieved 30 July 2014.
- "4DX SELLS OUT ALL SCREENINGS AT REGAL CINEMAS L.A. LIVE STADIUM 14 OVER THE WEEKEND". LA Live (AEG). Retrieved 31 July 2014.
- "Twitter / RegalLALIVE: #4DX SOLD OUT FOR TODAY! Saturday ...". Twitter. Twitter. Retrieved 31 July 2014.
- "First ever 4DX cinema opens in the Philippines". Yuga Tech. 30 April 2014. Retrieved 30 April 2014.
- "First 4DX Theater in U.S. a Hit with Audiences, Data Shows (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety (Variety). 2 September 2014. Retrieved 8 September 2014.
- Kirk, Scott (9 January 2015). "CINEMA: New 4DX screen coming to Cineworld, Milton Keynes to stimulate all the senses". MK Web (Local World). Retrieved 10 January 2015.
- Verrier, Richard (7 July 2012). "4-D movies: Next big thing for U.S. theaters?". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 12 January 2013.
- "Cinepolis launches India's first 4DX movie screen". Business Standard. Business Standard. Retrieved 20 November 2014.
- "4DX Theaters". Retrieved 12 January 2013.
- 4DX Global Expansion map
- "Cineworld feeling thrilled with 4D experiences". Daily Express (Northern and Shell Media Publications). 15 August 2014. Retrieved 15 August 2014.