|Centuries:||5th century – 6th century – 7th century|
|Decades:||490s 500s 510s – 520s – 530s 540s 550s|
|Years:||524 525 526 – 527 – 528 529 530|
|527 by topic|
|State leaders – Sovereign states|
|Birth and death categories|
|Births – Deaths|
|Establishment and disestablishment categories|
|Establishments – Disestablishments|
|Ab urbe condita||1280|
|Chinese calendar||丙午年 (Fire Horse)
3223 or 3163
— to —
丁未年 (Fire Goat)
3224 or 3164
|- Vikram Samvat||583–584|
|- Shaka Samvat||449–450|
|- Kali Yuga||3628–3629|
|Iranian calendar||95 BP – 94 BP|
|Islamic calendar||98 BH – 97 BH|
|Minguo calendar||1385 before ROC
|Seleucid era||838/839 AG|
|Thai solar calendar||1069–1070|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 527.|
Year 527 (DXXVII) was a common year starting on Friday (link will display the full calendar) of the Julian calendar. At the time, it was known as the Year of the Consulship of Mavortius without colleague (or, less frequently, year 1280 Ab urbe condita). The denomination 527 for this year has been used since the early medieval period, when the Anno Domini calendar era became the prevalent method in Europe for naming years.
- April 1 – Emperor Justin I names his nephew Justinian I as co-ruler as an incurable wound saps his strength.
- August 1 – Justin I, age 77, dies at Constantinople and is succeeded by Justinian I who becomes sole emperor.
- Justinian I reorganises the command structure of the Byzantine army and fields a small but highly trained army.
- Justinian I appoints Belisarius to command the Eastern army in Armenia and on the Byzantine-Persian frontier.
- King Cerdic of Wessex and his son Cynric defeat the Britons at Cerdicesleah (modern Chearsley).
- The Kingdom of Essex is founded by the Saxons who land north of the Thames. They take control of the land between what is now London and St Albans.
- Aescwine becomes the first king of Essex (approximate date).
- Iwai Rebellion: A revolt against the Yamato court breaks out in Tsukushi Province (This according to Nihon Shoki).
- The Church of the Nativity in Bethlehem, is rebuilt until 565. Restoring the architectural tone of the basilica.
- Silla, one of the Three Kingdoms of Korea, formally adopts Buddhism as a state religion (approximate date).