|Centuries:||1st century BC – 1st century – 2nd century|
|Decades:||20s 30s 40s – 50s – 60s 70s 80s|
|Years:||56 57 58 – 59 – 60 61 62|
|59 by topic|
|State leaders – Sovereign states|
|Birth and death categories|
|Births – Deaths|
|Establishment and disestablishment categories|
|Establishments – Disestablishments|
|Ab urbe condita||812|
|Bahá'í calendar||−1785 – −1784|
|English Regnal year||N/A|
|Chinese calendar||戊午年 (Earth Horse)
2755 or 2695
— to —
己未年 (Earth Goat)
2756 or 2696
|Coptic calendar||−225 – −224|
|- Vikram Samvat||115–116|
|- Shaka Samvat||N/A|
|- Kali Yuga||3160–3161|
|Igbo calendar||−941 – −940|
|Iranian calendar||563 BP – 562 BP|
|Islamic calendar||580 BH – 579 BH|
|Minguo calendar||1853 before ROC
|Thai solar calendar||602|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 59.|
Year 59 (LIX) was a common year starting on Monday (link will display the full calendar) of the Julian calendar. At the time, it was known as the Year of the Capito of Apronianus and Capito (or, less frequently, year 812 Ab urbe condita). The denomination 59 for this year has been used since the early medieval period, when the Anno Domini calendar era became the prevalent method in Europe for naming years.
- Emperor Nero orders the murder of his mother Julia Augusta Agrippina. He tries to kill her through a planned shipwreck, but when she survives has her executed and frames it as a suicide.
- Gnaeus Domitius Corbulo, Roman commander in the east, captures Tigranocerta in Mesopotamia. He installs Tigranes VI, a Cappadocian prince, as ruler of Armenia. For the next four years, a cohort from Legio VI Ferrata and Legio X Fretensis is stationed in the capital as bodyguard to the king, supported by fifteen hundred auxiliaries.
- Publius Clodius Thrasea Paetus retires from the Roman Senate.
Arts and sciences
- Paul the Apostle pleads his case and testifies of Christianity before King Agrippa II of the Herodians, who responds "You almost persuade me to be a Christian."
- March 19/23 – Julia Augusta Agrippina, mother of Nero (killed by his order) (b. 15 or 16)
- Domitius Afer, Roman orator
- Prof. Dora Akunyili Died at age 59