||This article may contain excessive, poor, or irrelevant examples. (March 2010)|
Fifty-nine is the 17th smallest prime number. The next is sixty-one, with which it comprises a twin prime. 59 is an irregular prime, a safe prime and the 14th supersingular prime. It is an Eisenstein prime with no imaginary part and real part of the form . Since 15! + 1 is divisible by 59 but 59 is not one more than a multiple of 15, 59 is a Pillai prime.
It is also a highly cototient number.
59 is one of the factors that divides the smallest composite Euclid number. In this case 59 divides the Euclid number 13# + 1 = 2 * 3 * 5 * 7 * 11 * 13 + 1 = 59 * 509.
- Messier object M59, a magnitude 11.5 galaxy in the constellation Virgo
- The New General Catalogue object NGC 59, a magnitude 12.4 spiral galaxy in the constellation Cetus
- The Saros number of the solar eclipse series which began in June, 1031 BC June and ended in July, 249 AD. The duration of Saros series 59 was 1280.1 years, and it contained 72 solar eclipses.
- The Saros number of the lunar eclipse series which began in March, 729 BC and ended in May, 569 AD. The duration of Saros series 59 was 1298.1 years, and it contained 73 lunar eclipses.
- Beethoven's Opus 59 consists of the three so-called Razumovsky Quartets
- 59, an album by Puffy AmiYumi
- The 1960s song "The 59th Street Bridge Song (Feelin' Groovy)" was popularized by Simon & Garfunkel and Harpers Bizarre
- The '59 Sound, an album by The Gaslight Anthem; includes the song of the same name
- The album 14:59 by Sugar Ray
- .59 is a song by djTAKA from beatmania IIDX 2nd Style and Dance Dance Revolution 4thMIX
- '59 is the sixth track on the album Ignition! by Brian Setzer
- NASCAR driver Marcos Ambrose drives car #59
- Satchel Paige became the oldest major league baseball player at age 59
- 59 is the lowest golf score in a single round on the PGA Tour, achieved by Al Geiberger, Chip Beck, David Duval, Paul Goydos, Stuart Appleby, and Jim Furyk and on the LPGA Tour by Annika Sörenstam
- Lowest score recorded at MGC Invitational in Branson, MO
In other fields
- The number corresponding to the last minute in a given hour, and the last second in a given minute
- The designation of Interstate 59, a freeway that runs from Louisiana to Georgia
- The designation of US-59, a highway between Minnesota and Texas
- Approximately the number of days in two lunar months
- The Queensboro Bridge in New York City is also known as the 59th Street Bridge
- Central Park South is on 59th Street in New York City
- The number on a button commonly worn by feminist activists in the 1970s; this was based on the claim that a woman earned 59 cents to an equally qualified man's dollar
- Art Project 59's "59 Seconds Video Festival" at 59 Franklin Street, showed 59 videos to 59 different audiences, each 59 seconds long and incorporating the number 59
- In amateur radio, a perfect signal report
- The number of the French department Nord
- In the UK, the bingo nickname for 59 is "The Brighton Line", after the London, Brighton & South Coast Railway
- H. S. M. Coxeter, P. Du Val, H. T. Flather, and J. F. Petrie. The Fifty-Nine Icosahedra.
- 59 Seconds Video Festival