|Launched||16 October 2006|
|Owned by||Northern & Shell
|Picture format||576i (SDTV 16:9, 4:3)|
0.1% (+1) (October 2013, BARB)
Five.3 (working title)
Five USA (2009–2011)
|Sister channel(s)||Channel 5
|Timeshift service||5USA +1|
Channel 130 (+1)
|Sky (UK only)||Channel 174
Channel 219 (+1)
|Astra 2F||10964 H 22000 5/6
10964 H 22000 5/6 (+1)
|Virgin Media||Channel 153
Channel 154 (+1)
|Smallworld Cable||Channel 143|
|Virgin TV Anywhere||Watch live (UK only)|
5USA is an entertainment television channel in the United Kingdom owned by Northern & Shell. It is a sister channel of Channel 5 and 5*. It was launched on 16 October 2006 as Five US and was the second digital channel in the UK to be launched by RTL Group (the former owner) as part of their multi-channel strategy, the first being Five Life (now 5*). 5USA concentrates on showing imported movies and programmes from the United States. The channel's original broadcast hours were from 16:00 to 01:00, however it extended its hours starting at 12:00 in June 2007. The channel changes its programme slots and shows from time to time. 5USA is shown on Sky, Digital Cable, Freesat, Freeview and IPTV.
British comedian Russell Kane was the 'face of the channel', presenting short clips between some programmes which acted as space fillers to comply with advertising regulations in the UK (UK regulation allows fewer minutes of advertising than in the US) until 16 February 2009. The music used during the idents until February 2009 was "The Dress Looks Nice on You!" and "Jacksonville" by Sufjan Stevens.
On 28 August 2007, Five US launched a timeshift channel named Five US +1 available only on Sky. On 22 January 2009, it was announced that Five US would be rebranded to "Five USA" on 16 February. The channel rebranded for a second time as "5USA" on 7 March 2011.
The channel's highest ratings to date were on 12 February 2008 for the second part of the CSI: Crime Scene Investigation and Without a Trace crossover. The show averaged 2.580 million viewers between 22:00 and 23:00 equating to a multichannel share of 13.9%. Those numbers made the show the most-watched multichannel programme in its slot - beating every other channel (digital and analogue) aside from BBC One, and is currently one of the highest ratings for a multichannel in the United Kingdom.
Along with its output of programming, 5USA frequently shows movies imported from the United States. The channel follows a set schedule most nights, with one of the most popular nights on the channel being the weekly CSI Sunday, which shows all three shows in the franchise between the hours of 18:00 and 01:00.
- Body of Proof
- Burn Notice
- CSI: Crime Scene Investigation
- CSI: Miami
- CSI: NY
- Dark Blue
- Human Target
- Law & Order - Seasons 9-13 only.
- Law & Order: Special Victims Unit - Season 12 (repeated from Channel 5).
- My Name is Earl
- NCIS: Los Angeles - Starts on March 5th, 2014 at 10:00pm (repeated from Channel 5).
- Once Upon a Time
- Person of Interest
- Sons of Anarchy
- The Mentalist
- Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles
- True Justice
- Under the Dome
- 30 Rock - Now on Comedy Central.
- The Beast
- Breaking Bad
- Conviction - Series discontinued and is in syndication on the Universal Channel.
- David Beckham's Soccer USA
- Everybody Hates Chris - Now on Comedy Central and Comedy Central Extra.
- The Fall Guy
- The Guardian
- Happy Days - Now on Comedy Central.
- House MD - Now on Sky1, and Universal Channel.
- IndyCar Series
- Joey - Now on 5*.
- Killer Instinct - Series discontinued.
- Medical Investigation
- Mission: Impossible - Now on Quest.
- NFL including Super Bowl
- NHRA Powerade Drag Series
- Nightmares and Dreamscapes: From the Stories of Stephen King - Series discontinued and is syndicated on Syfy.
- NUMB3RS Now on CBS Action.
- The Nine - Series discontinued.
- Pimp My Ride (US version) - Series discontinued.
- Pros vs Joes
- Sex and the City - Now on 5*, Comedy Central and Comedy Central Extra.
- Shark - Ended its run of 2 seasons.
- The Shield - Wrapped up after 7 seasons, but only season 7 was shown on 5USA.
- The Unit
- Vanished - Series discontinued.
- Whacked Out Sports - Now on 5*.
- "Television Broadcast Licensing Update October 2006". Ofcom.
- "Five launches Five US and Five Life". Channel 5. 25 August 2006.
- Joanne Oatts (5 July 2007). "Five launches +1 services". Digital Spy.
- Dietrich Jeffreys (11 December 2008). "Five US to be Rebranded.". The Three Rs.
- "New brand identity for Five US". Digital Spy. 22 January 2009.
- Alex Fletcher (11 February 2011). "Illusion show heads up Channel 5 season". Digital Spy.
- "5USA admits long-term scheduling concerns as Steven Seagal gets older". NewsBiscuit. 2011-07-04. Retrieved 2013-06-29.