5 Gyres is an organization aimed at reducing plastics pollution. They have traveling exhibits, and summarize topic relevant research. Their traveling activities include stops at universities and educational discussions.
5 Gyres was one of two organizations that recently researched the Great Pacific Garbage Patch,. They also presented their results at the Aquarium of the Pacific and have been cited as a source for estimating the size of the gyres. 5 Gyres explained their activities at a National Aquarium radio broadcast, has been featured at the Two Oceans Aquarium website, and has prepared, along with the Goody Awards, tips on how to reduce plastic consumption. 5 Gyres has also worked with environmental artist Marina DeBris in using trashion to help raise awareness of ocean trash.
5 Gyres was founded by Anna Cummins and Marcus Eriksen. Eriksen and Cummins have been featured speakers at universities and in news stories. Anna Cummins has also been awarded the Golden Goody Award, during a meeting of the Los Angeles chapter of the USNC for UN WOMEN First Annual Special Assembly.
- "5 Gyres: Plastic Pollution in the World’s Oceans at the Santa Monica Public Library". City of Santa Monica. Retrieved 2013-2-19.
- "5 Gyres Bike Tour to Stop at UNCW". University of North Carolina, Wilmington. Retrieved 2013-2-14.
- Lawrence, Stratton. "The 5 Gyres team travels to Chucktown to discuss the Great Pacific Garbage Patch". Charleston City Paper. Retrieved 2013-2-14.
- Hoare, Rose (2012-05-22). "Research ship finds the world's oceans are 'plasticized'". CNN. Retrieved 2013-2-14.
- "Investigators Analyze Plastic Soup in World's Five Oceanic Gyres". Environmental News Service. 2/1/2010. Retrieved 2013-2-19.
- "5 Gyres: Saving our Synthetic Seas". Aquarium of the Pacific. Retrieved 2013-2-19.
- Boyle, Lisa Kaas (2012-03-31). "Kyra Sedgwick Leads Global Call to End Plastic Pollution at United Nations". Huffington Post. Retrieved 2013-2-19.
- "January 1, 2013: The Great Pacific Garbage Patch". Blue View radio series. National Aquarium. Retrieved 2013-2-14.
- Marcus, Eriksen. "5 Gyres Q&A: Thinking about solutions". Two Oceans Aquarium, CapeTown, South Africa. Retrieved 2013-2-19.
- "Goody Awards Launches Green Plastic-Free Holiday Campaign with 5 Gyres". Yahoo News, summarizing a PRWeb story. 12/2/2012. Retrieved 2013-2-19.
- Novak, Brennan. "Marina Debris aka Garbage Girl rocks trash couture in Japan". 5 Gyres. Retrieved 3/8/2013.
- "The Perils of Plastic: Notes from the Oceans and the Great Lakes". Earth Week. SUNY Fredonia. Retrieved 3/8/2013.
- Gray, Ronal. "Activists ride road, waves for ocean plight". San Diego Community News. Retrieved 3/8/2013.
- "Plastic Trash in Oceans Enters Marine Food Chain". Voice of America. 2011-2-14. Retrieved 3/8/2013.
- "MIIS Alumna Discovers Second Ocean Garbage Patch Filled with Plastic Debris". news item from Monterey Institute of International Studies. 2010-04-16. Retrieved 3/8/2013.
- "Trash found in fish". ABC News. February 3, 2010. Retrieved March 10, 2013.
- James, Mitch (2012-12-25). "Golden Goody Award Presented To Anna Cummins At UN Women LA Event". Santa Monica Mirror. Retrieved 3/8/2013.
- "5 Gyres, Advisors and Staff". 5 Gyres. Retrieved 3/8/2013.
|This organization-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|