5 Seconds of Summer
|5 Seconds of Summer|
5 Seconds of Summer backstage during their 2014 UK tour. From left to right: Luke Hemmings, Michael Clifford, Calum Hood, and Ashton Irwin.
|Also known as||5SOS|
|Genres||Pop punk, pop rock|
Formed in Sydney in 2011, the band consists of Luke Hemmings (lead vocals, guitar), Michael Clifford (guitar, vocals), Calum Hood (bass guitar, vocals) and Ashton Irwin (drums, vocals). The group were originally YouTube celebrities, who posted videos of themselves covering songs from various artists in 2011. From there, they started to gain a small following in 2012 after posting a series of cover versions of popular songs onto YouTube, then rose to international fame when One Direction invited them on their Take Me Home Tour.
The group have been referred to as a boy band in the media. In February 2014, they released "She Looks So Perfect" as their debut worldwide release. It topped the charts in Australia, New Zealand, Ireland and the United Kingdom. Their self-titled debut studio album was released in June 2014.
- 1 History
- 2 Influences
- 3 Band members
- 4 Discography
- 5 Tours
- 6 Awards and nominations
- 6.1 Billboard Mid-Year Music Awards
- 6.2 Channel V
- 6.3 Kerrang!
- 6.4 MTV Awards
- 6.5 MTV Europe Music Awards
- 6.6 MTV Video Music Awards
- 6.7 MuchMusic Video Awards
- 6.8 Neox Fan Awards
- 6.9 Nickelodeon Kids Choice Awards
- 6.10 Rockbjörnen
- 6.11 Teen Choice Awards
- 6.12 TRL Awards (Italy)
- 6.13 We Love Pop Awards
- 6.14 World Music Awards
- 6.15 Young Hollywood Awards
- 7 References
- 8 External links
2011–12: Origin and debut
5 Seconds of Summer began in December 2011 when Luke Hemmings, Michael Clifford and Calum Hood, who all attended Norwest Christian College, started posting videos of themselves performing covers of popular songs together on Hemmings' YouTube channel. Hemmings' first video, a cover of Mike Posner's "Please Don't Go", was posted on 3 February 2011. Their cover of Chris Brown's "Next to You" received over 600,000 hits. In December 2011, they were joined by drummer Ashton Irwin, and the four-man line up was completed.
The band attracted some keen interest from major music labels and publishers, and have signed a publishing deal with Sony ATV Music Publishing. Despite having had no promotion apart from on Facebook and Twitter, their first music release, an EP entitled Unplugged, reached number 3 on the iTunes chart in Australia, and the Top 20 in both New Zealand and Sweden. Their international following increased significantly once again when One Direction member Louis Tomlinson posted the link to their YouTube video of their song "Gotta Get Out", stating that he'd been a fan of 5 Seconds of Summer "for a while". 5 Seconds of Summer were once again the subject of interest for One Direction following the release of their first single, "Out of My Limit", on 19 November 2012, this time with Niall Horan tweeting the link to the video clip.
5 Seconds of Summer spent the second half of 2012 writing and developing their sound with Christian Lo Russo and Joel Chapman of Australian band Amy Meredith, with whom they wrote two of the songs that feature on the Somewhere New EP: "Beside You" and "Unpredictable". The EP was also co-produced by Joel Chapman. 5 Seconds of Summer released their first single "Out of My Limit" on 19 November 2012, the video clip for the song receiving over 100,000 views within the first 24 hours. In December 2012, the boys embarked on a songwriting trip to London, where they have written with various artists including McFly, Roy Stride of Scouting for Girls, Nick Hodgson of Kaiser Chiefs, Jamie Scott, Jake Gosling, Steve Robson and James Bourne of Busted.
2013–present: Debut studio album 5 Seconds of Summer
On 14 February 2013, it was announced that 5 Seconds of Summer would support One Direction on their worldwide Take Me Home Tour. The tour kicked off at the O2 Arena in London on 23 February 2013, and 5 Seconds of Summer joined One Direction for shows in the UK, US, Australia and New Zealand, including seven shows at Allphones Arena in 5 Seconds of Summer's home town of Sydney. Whilst on a break from the Take Me Home Tour, 5 Seconds of Summer returned home to Australia where they played a National headlining tour, with all dates selling out within minutes. It was around this time when the band began to gain popularity and become more well-known. On 21 November 2013, the band announced that they had signed to Capitol Records.
The connection between 5SOS and One Direction extends to both artists being managed by London-based Modest Management. This led to 5SOS being called a boy band in the media. Members of the band have said the group is not a boy band. Unlike many boy bands, they write their own songs, play their own instruments, and they are not primarily a dance group. Nevertheless, the band has attracted a fanatical following of girls just like other boy bands. Ashton Irwin has compared the band's female following to Fall Out Boy which also has a sizable female fanbase. John Feldmann, frontman of Goldfinger and producer on 5 Seconds of Summer, attributes 5 Seconds of Summer's fanbase to "a fundamental change in the pop punk demo[graphic]", mentioning the gradual demographic shift away from the majority male audiences of early 1990s pop punk acts such as Blink-182 and Green Day.
In late March 2014, "She Looks So Perfect" was released in UK. Despite only one day on top in the British iTunes store and ending its week in the lower end of the top 10, 5 Seconds of Summer became only the fourth Australian band to have a UK number-one single, and the first to do so in 14 years. In the following week's chart the song dropped to number 10, which was the biggest drop from number one since McFly's ""Baby's Coming Back"/"Transylvania" fell from number one to number 20, also in its second week on the UK chart. On 5 March 2014, it was announced that 5 Seconds of Summer will once again join One Direction on the road, supporting them on their 2014 Where We Are Tour in the US, Canada, UK and Europe. On 9 April 2014, the She Looks So Perfect EP debuted at number 2 on the Billboard 200.
On 13 May 2014, the band announced that their debut album, named 5 Seconds of Summer, will be released on 27 June 2014 in Europe and Australia with other releases coming later. The album won a Kerrang! award; Luke Hemmings said it was a real honour to win one, as all the band's idols are in Kerrang!.
- Luke Hemmings – lead vocals, guitar
- Michael Clifford – guitar, vocals
- Calum Hood – bass guitar, vocals
- Ashton Irwin – drums, vocals
- 5 Seconds of Summer (2014)
- Hot Chelle Rae – Whatever World Tour (October 2012)
- One Direction – Take Me Home Tour (2013)
- One Direction – Where We Are Tour (2014)
- Mini Australian Tour (2012)
- Twenty Twelve Tour (June 2012)
- First New Zealand Show (3 November 2012)
- Pants Down Tour (2013) (Australia)
- UK Tour (February & March 2014)
- 5 Countries 5 Days European Tour (March & April 2014) (Sweden, Germany, France, Italy & Spain)
- Stars, Stripes and Maple Syrup Tour (April 2014) (North America)
- There's No Place Like Home Tour (May 2014) (Australia)
- Rock Out with Your Socks Out Tour (May - September 2015) (UK, Europe, Australia, New Zealand, USA, Canada)
Awards and nominations
Billboard Mid-Year Music Awards
Billboard is an American music magazine, headquartered in New York City, New York and owned by Prometheus Global Media.
|2014||5 Seconds of Summer||Breakout Star||Nominated|
Channel V is the brand name for multiple international music television networks owned by STAR TV and Fox International Channels, fully owned subsidiaries of 21st Century Fox.
|2013||5 Seconds of Summer||Oz Artist Award||Won|
Kerrang Awards became one of Britain's most recognised award events by the now defunct Guinness Book of British Hit Singles & Albums, often listing some of the winners in their annual round-up of the previous year. The event is always presented by major music celebrities, with many others outside the industry who attend the event.
|2014||5 Seconds of Summer||Best International Newcomer presented by Troxy||Won|
|2014||5 Seconds of Summer||Buzzworthy's Favorite Breakthrough Band||Won|
MTV Europe Music Awards
|2014||5 Seconds of Summer||Best Push Act||Pending|
MTV Video Music Awards
|2014||"She Looks So Perfect"||Artist to Watch||Nominated|
|"Don't Stop"||Best Lyric Video||Won|
MuchMusic Video Awards
The MuchMusic Video Awards (also known as (the) MMVA or MMVAs) are annual awards presented by the Canadian music video channel MuchMusic to honour the year's best music videos.
|2014||"She Looks So Perfect"||International Video of the Year – Group||Nominated|
Neox Fan Awards
|2014||5 Seconds of Summer||Best New Act of the Year||Pending|
Nickelodeon Kids Choice Awards
The Nickelodeon Kids' Choice Awards, also known as the KCAs or Kids Choice Awards, is an annual awards show that airs on the Nickelodeon cable channel, which is usually held on a Saturday night in late March or early April, that honors the year's biggest television, movie, and music acts, as voted by Nickelodeon viewers.
|2014||5 Seconds of Summer||Aussies' Fave Hot New Talent||Won|
Rockbjörnen is a music prize in Sweden, divided into several categories, which is awarded annually by the newspaper Aftonbladet. The prize was first awarded in 1979, and is mostly centered on pop and rock.
|2014||"She Looks So Perfect"||Årets utländska låt (Best Foreign Song)||Nominated|
Teen Choice Awards
The Teen Choice Awards were established in 1999 to honor the year's biggest achievements in music, movies, sports and television, being voted by young people aged between 13 and 19.
|2014||"Amnesia"||Choice Music: Break-Up Song||Nominated|
|5 Seconds of Summer||Choice Music: Breakout Group||Won|
|Choice Music: Group||Nominated|
|Choice Summer: Music Group||Won|
|"She Looks So Perfect"||Choice Music: Song – Group||Nominated|
TRL Awards (Italy)
The TRL Awards were established in 2006 by MTV Italy to celebrate the most popular artists and music videos in Italy.
|2014||5 Seconds of Summer||Best Artist from the World||Nominated|
|Best New Artist|
|5SOS fam||Best Fans|
We Love Pop Awards
|2014||5 Seconds of Summer||Best Band||Pending|
|5SOS fam||Best Fandom|
|"She Looks So Perfect"||Best Summer Anthem|
|Ashton Irwin||Fittest Boy on the Planet|
|Ashton Irwin||Nicest Pop Star|
World Music Awards
The World Music Awards is an international awards show founded in 1989 that annually honors recording artists based on worldwide sales figures provided by the International Federation of the Phonographic Industry (IFPI).
|2014||5 Seconds of Summer||World's Best Group||Nominated|
|World's Best Live Act|
|"She Looks So Perfect"||World's Best Song|
|"Wherever You Are"|
|"She Looks So Perfect"||World's Best Video|
|"Wherever You Are"|
Young Hollywood Awards
The Young Hollywood Awards is an award presented annually which honors the year's biggest achievements in pop music, movies, sports, television, fashion and more, as voted on by teenagers aged 13–19 and young adults.
|2014||5 Seconds of Summer||Breakout Music Artist||Nominated|
- "5 Seconds Of Summer's New York City Fans Are Like 'A Good Version' Of Tinder". 23 April 2014. Retrieved 25 April 2014.
- "5 Seconds of Summer Goes Global - But They're Not The Next One Direction". 8 April 2014. Retrieved 25 April 2014.
- "The band You Should Be Obsessing Over". thehothits.com. 1 May 2012. Retrieved 6 August 2012.
- Knopper, Steve (9 April 2014). "On the Charts: Aussie Boy Band 5 Seconds of Summer Almost Top 'Frozen'". Rolling Stone.
- Good, Jenna (18 May 2014). "The ultimate compliment! One Direction's Liam Payne is 'jealous' of Sydney boy band 5 Seconds of Summer's musical talents". Daily Mail.
- Lawrence, Jesse (22 February 2014). "Is 5 Seconds Of Summer The New Kid On The Boy Band Block?". Forbes.
- Weston, Tamara (April 2014). "5 Seconds Of Summer Is Your Next Favorite Boy Band (They're One Direction-Approved!)". Teen Vogue.
- "Please Don't Go - Cover". 1 August 2011. Retrieved 11 February 2014.
- Alex Langlands (14 May 2012). "Meet 5 Seconds Of Summer". Retrieved 9 August 2012.
- "5 Seconds of Summer Australian Tour". May 2012. Retrieved 10 August 2012.
- "the Au interview - 5 Seconds of Summer". 1 August 2011. Retrieved 19 February 2014.
- Toby Creswell (30 July 2012). "Smells Like Teen Spirit". The Age (Melbourne). Retrieved 11 August 2012.
- Louis Tomlinson (7 November 2012). "Louis Tomlinson Twitter". Retrieved 11 November 2012.
- Niall Horan (27 November 2012). "Just been showed this video – TUNNNEEEEE!". Retrieved 9 December 2012.
- Kathy McCabe (18 November 2012). "Sydney teen band 5 Seconds of Summer is getting hot in the UK". Retrieved 1 December 2012.
- "5 Seconds of Summer are Writing with McFly". 19 December 2012. Retrieved 17 February 2012.
- "5 Seconds of Summer Tumblr". 6 February 2013. Retrieved 22 February 2013.
- Jessica Aquilina (15 February 2013). "Local boys to play support for One Direction tour". Retrieved 22 February 2013.
- Kathy McCabe (18 February 2013). "Things are hotting up for 5 Seconds of Summer". Retrieved 22 February 2013.
- Kathy McCabe (14 February 2013). "One Direction Picks Australian Band 5 Seconds of Summer as support act for world tour". Retrieved 17 February 2013.
- "One Direction Tour Dates". 2012. Retrieved 23 February 2013.
- The Hot Hits (17 May 2013). "5 Seconds of Summer Announce Australian Tour". Retrieved 12 June 2013.
- The Hot Hits (21 November 2013). "5 Seconds of Summer Got Signed to Capitol Records". Retrieved 26 November 2013.
- "She Looks So Perfect – Single by 5 Seconds of Summer". iTunes. Retrieved 7 February 2014.
- Smirke, Richard (8 April 2014). "5 Seconds of Summer Goes Global - But They're Not The Next One Direction". Billboard.
- Margaret, Mary (12 April 2014). "Frozen's Big Competition: 5 Things to Know About 5 Seconds of Summer". People.
- Lewak, Doree (22 April 2014). "5 Seconds of Summer uber-fans storm NYC in boy band mania". New York Post.
- Shultz, Cara Lynn (4 August 2014). "5 Seconds of Summer: 'If Anyone Puts Us Down, We Don’t Care'". Billboard.
- "5SOS triumph in UK singles charts". BBC News. 30 March 2014. Retrieved 30 March 2014.
- Lawrence, Jesse (5 March 2104). "One Direction's Where We Are Tour Gets Jolt With 5 Seconds Of Summer As Opening Act". Retrieved 5 March 2014.
- Paul Cashmere (9 April 2014). "5 Seconds of Summer Debuts at No 2 in USA". Retrieved 10 April 2014.
- "This Week's Fresh Music Top 20". 25 June 2014. 4Music.
- AU. "THE AU INTERVIEW: 5 SECONDS OF SUMMER (SYDNEY)". AU. Retrieved 26 July 2014.
- DeVille, Chris. "The Week In Pop: 5 Seconds Of Summer And The Evolution Of Pop-Punk Boy Bands". Stereogum. Retrieved 25 August 2014.
- The Hot Hits (12 September 2012). "5 Seconds of Summer Join Hot Chelle Rae's Australian Tour". Retrieved 12 September 2012.
- Poppy Reid (14 February 2013). "Sydney's 5 Seconds of Summer support 1D on World Tour". Retrieved 17 February 2013.
- NovaFM (17 July 2012). "5 Seconds of Summer Twenty Twelve Tour". Retrieved 11 August 2012.
- Under The Radar. "Under The Radar NZ". Retrieved 9 November 2012.
- Lucy Wood (5 March 2014). "5 Seconds of Summer announces 5 Countries 5 Days European Tour". Retrieved 7 March 2014.
- "There's No Place Like Home Tour". 5sos-official.tumblr.com. 20 March 2014. Retrieved 10 July 2014.
- "'ROCK OUT WITH YOUR SOCKS OUT' 2015 UK & EUROPEAN TOUR !". 5sos.com. 7 July 2014. Retrieved 10 July 2014.
- "5 SECONDS OF SUMMER". 5sos-official.tumblr.com. 17 July 2014. Retrieved 4 August 2014.
- "5 SECONDS OF SUMMER". 5sos-official.tumblr.com. 30 July 2014. Retrieved 4 August 2014.