5th Armored Brigade (United States)
The 5th Armored Brigade is an AC/RC (active component/reserve component) unit based at Fort Bliss, Texas. The unit is responsible for training selected United States Army Reserve (USAR) & Army National Guard units west of the Mississippi River before they deploy to conduct combat operations overseas. The unit was formerly designated as 2nd Brigade, 91st Division. In 2007, the brigade was reassigned from Fort Carson, Colorado to Fort Bliss, Texas.
The brigade was redesignated and re-missioned several times:
- 5th Tank Destroyer Group 1942–1945 (one of 14 activated for World War II)
- 5th Armored Cavalry Regiment 1951–1954 (as a USAR unit in Lincoln, Nebraska)
- 5th Armored Group 1954–1956
- 5th Armored Brigade 1975–1994
- In 1999 the 5th was merged with the 2d Brigade, 91st Division and carried the latter name and lineage until redesignated in 2006.
The unit is composed of:
- Headquarters & Headquarters Company, 5th Armored Brigade
- 1st Battalion, 360th Regiment (Infantry) "War Hogs"
- 1st Battalion, 361st Regiment (Engineers) "Red Hawks"
- 1st Battalion, 362nd Regiment (Air Defense) "Renegades"
- 2nd Battalion, 356th Regiment (Logistics Support) "Red Ball"
- 2nd Battalion, 361st Regiment (CS/CSS) "Coyote"
- 2nd Battalion, 362nd Regiment (Field Artillery) "Red Leg"
- 2nd Battalion, 363rd Regiment (CS/CSS) (Infantry) "Black Scorpion"
- 3rd Battalion, 360th Regiment (CS/CSS) "Rough Riders"
- 3rd Battalion, 361st Regiment (CS/CSS) "Mountain Warriors"
- 3rd Battalion, 362nd Regiment (Armor) "Stallions"