5th Summit of the Americas
|5th Summit of the Americas|
5th Summit of the Americas logo
|Host country||Trinidad and Tobago|
|Dates||April 17–19, 2009|
|Venue(s)||Hyatt Regency Trinidad|
|Cities||Port of Spain|
|Follows||4th Summit of the Americas|
|Precedes||6th Summit of the Americas|
Organizers planned for the Fifth Summit to focus on a wide-ranging theme: "Securing Our Citizens' Future by Promoting Human Prosperity, Energy Security and Environmental Sustainability."
The Summits of the Americas are a continuing series of summits bringing together the leaders of North America, Central America, the Caribbean and South America. The function of these summits is to foster discussion of a variety of issues affecting the western hemisphere. These high-level summit meetings have been organized by a number of multilateral bodies under the aegis of the Organization of American States. In the early 1990s, what were formerly ad hoc summits came to be institutionalized into a regular "Summits of the Americas" conference program.
- December 7–8, 1996  -- Summit of the Americas on Sustainable Development at Santa Cruz de la Sierra in Bolivia.
The host nation's task in organizing the summit programme was a multi-faceted challenge.
The top issue at the summit was the current economic crisis, which also encompassed issues of access to increased credit and lending from multilateral banks, sub-regional banks and international development banks. Other issues included promoting human prosperity, energy security and environmental sustainability.
Venezuela's President Hugo Chávez used his first meeting with President Obama to argue in favor of lifting the US-led embargo of Cuba. Chávez also used the occasion to publicly present Obama with a copy of Eduardo Galeano's 1971 book Open Veins of Latin America.
The host country's Office for Disaster Preparedness and Management (ODPM) planned to ensure that they would be prepared to deal with the consequences of natural or man-made hazards which might impact the delegates during the Summit of the Americas. The Ministry of National Security and OPDM worked together in anticipation of over 4,000 visitors.
Other American nations made security forces available during the international event. Premier of Bermuda Ewart Brown offered to request 35 soldiers of the Bermuda Regiment to be sent, but the offer was declined as unnecessary. In preparation for the summit, the Jamaica Defence Force (JDF) and the Jamaica Constabulary Force (JCF) sent 124 officers for a three-week training program in Trinidad. The Jamaican contingent was briefed and given all the necessary resources and equipment, and they were expected to bring back to Jamaica any good ideas and best practices which might be observed during the operation.
Heads of State and Government
- Summit Americas: V summit (5th)
- 5th Summit of The Americas (VSOA)
- Twaddle, Andrew C. (2002). Health Care Reform Around the World, p. 382.
- Florida International University, Summit of the Americas Center (SOAC): Summits list
- Summit Americas: I summit (1st)
- Summit Americas: Sustainable development
- Summit Americas: II summit (2nd)
- Summit Americas: III summit (3rd)
- Summit Americas: Special
- Summit Americas: IV summit (4th)
- Tack, Clint Chan. "Summit programme takes shape," Newsday (Trinidad & Tobago). February 15, 2009.
- "Economy will be top issue at 5th Americas Summit," Xinhua. March 14, 2009.
- Brooks, Lovelette. "Summit of the Americas: Carib issues for Obamam" Jamaica Gleaner News (Kingston). March 22, 2009.
- "Chavez says he'll lobby Obama on Cuba at summit," Taiwan News. March 18, 2009.
- Bagoo, Andre. "ODPM activates emergency systems for Summit," Newsday. March 17, 2009.
- Premier discusses world economy with CARICOM heads, The Royal Gazette, March 17, 2009
- Bermuda Regiment Deployment not required for upcoming Summit of the Americas, South Florida Caribbean News, April 20, 2009
- "J'can police, soldiers to provide security at Americas Summit," Jamaica Observer (Kingston). March 27, 2009.
- Prieto, Alfredo. "Everybody But Cuba,"Havana Times. April 15, 2009.
- Twaddle, Andrew C. (2002). Health Care Reform Around the World. Westport, Connecticut: Greenwood Publishing. 10-ISBN 0-86569-288-2; 13-ISBN 978-0-86569-288-6; OCLC 48132063
- Summits of the Americas
- 5th Summit of The Americas
- Summits of the Americas Follow-up System (SISCA)
- Follow-up and Implementation of Summits
4th Summit of the Americas
|Summits of the Americas
Port of Spain
6th Summit of the Americas