600s BC (decade)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from 600 BCE)
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (December 2009)|
|Millennium:||1st millennium BC|
|Centuries:||8th century BC – 7th century BC – 6th century BC|
|Decades:||630s BC 620s BC 610s BC – 600s BC – 590s BC 580s BC 570s BC|
|Years:||609 BC 608 BC 607 BC 606 BC 605 BC 604 BC 603 BC 602 BC 601 BC 600 BC|
|Categories:||Births – Deaths
Establishments – Disestablishments
Events and trends
- 609 BC—The Babylonians defeat the Assyrian army of Ashur-uballit II and capture Harran. Ashur-uballit, the last Assyrian king, disappears from history.
- 609 BC—King Josiah of Judah dies in the Battle of Megiddo against Pharaoh Necho II of Egypt, who is on his way north to aid the Assyrian state of Ashur-uballit II. Jehoahaz succeeds his father Josiah as King of Judah, but is quickly deposed by Necho, who installs Jehoahaz's brother Jehoiakim in his place.
- 607 BC—Death of King Kuang of the Zhou Dynasty of China.
- 606 BC—Ji Yu becomes king of the Zhou Dynasty.
- 605 BC—Battle of Carchemish: Crown Prince Nebuchadnezzar II of Babylon defeats the army of Necho II of Egypt, securing the Babylonian conquest of Assyria. The Babylonians pursue through Syria and Palestine.
- 605 BC—Nebuchadnezzar II succeeds his father Nabopolassar as King of Babylon.
- 601 BC—Foundation of Perinthus by settlers from Samos.
- 600 BC— Foundation of Marseille by Focei winners in a naval clash on Carthaginians; It was the beginning of Greek-punic Wars.
- 600 BC—Radiocarbon dating for first circular inhabitation enclosure at Emain Macha.
- 600 BC—Creation of Armenia.
- 600 BC—Foundation of Capua.
- 600 BC—Foundation of Milan by Celts (approximate date).
- 600 BC—Smyrna sacked and destroyed.
- 600 BC—Nebuchadnezzar builds the Hanging Gardens of Babylon.
- c. 600 BC—Archaic period of sculpture starts in Ancient Greece.
- c. 600 BC—Pitcher (container) (olpe), from Corinth, is made. It is now at The British Museum, London.
- c. 600 BC—Kouros is made. It is now at The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York.
- c. 600 BC–580 BC—Temple of Artemis, Korkyra (Corfu) is built.
- c. 600 BC—Pompeii is founded.
- c. 600 BC—Zarathustra's religion becomes popular in Persia.
- c. 600 BC—Beginning of the construction of the largest Mound at Cahokia, near East St. Louis, Illinois. Construction continues until AD 200.
- c. 600 BC—The Etruscans capture the settlement of Rome, making it into a prosperous trading centre.
- c. 600 BC—Athens was suffering severe economic problems.
- c. 600 BC—Doric order and Ionic order are well developed.
- c. 600 BC - 500 BC - Calendrical system appears in areas with strong Olmec influence in Mesoamerica.