64th Air Refueling Squadron
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2012)|
|64th Air Refueling Squadron|
64th Air Refueling Squadron Patch
|Active||12 December 1942 - 15 May 1946
5 April 1947 - 31 March 1997
1 April 2003 - 2008
|Branch||United States Air Force|
RVGC w/ Palm
The 64th Air Refueling Squadron (64 ARS) is a United States Air Force air-refueling squadron that is part of the 22d Air Refueling Wing's 22d Operations Group at McConnell Air Force Base in Kansas. Through the Air Force's Total Force Initiative, the 64th is operationally assigned to the 157th Air Refueling Wing at Pease Air National Guard Base in New Hampshire.
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (July 2010)|
The 64th flew aerial transportation and evacuation in the South and Southwest Pacific from, 7 August 1943-c. 14 August 1945 and between Japan and Korea from, 19 May-31 December 1952. In 1957 the squadron moved on paper from Portland International Airport to Niagara Falls Municipal Airport, where is assumed the mission, personnel, and equipment of the 700th Troop Carrier Squadron. The squadron trained and provided airlift services from, January 1953-March 1997, including airlift to Vietnam during the late 1960s and to Southwest Asia in 1990-1991. It participated in various training exercises and airlift missions worldwide until inactivation on 31 March 1997.
The 64th Air Refueling Squadron was activated at Pease Air National Guard Base, New Hampshire on 2 October 2009 as part of the 22d Air Refueling Wing. It is part of the Total Force Initiative and will work side by side with the 157th Air Refueling Wing, New Hampshire Air National Guard. This will be the first time that an active duty U.S. Air Force unit has returned to Pease since the active Air Force closed the base in 1991. On 9 January 2013, the USAF announced that Pease Air Guard Station would be in the running to host the first KC-46A Tankers as they entered active service in 2016 and with Guard units in 2018.
- 64th Troop Carrier Squadron (1942–1949)
- 64th Troop Carrier Squadron, Medium (1949–1967)
- 64th Tactical Airlift Squadron (1967–1992)
- 64th Airlift Squadron (1992–1997)
- 64th Air Refueling Squadron (2002–present)
- C-47 Skytrain (1943–1945)
- C-46 Commando (1945, 1947–1950, 1951–1952)
- C-119 Flying Boxcar (1952, 1957–1970)
- C-130 Hercules (1970–1997)
- KC-135 Stratotanker (2003–2008, 2009–Present)
- Maurer, Maurer, ed. (1982) . Combat Squadrons of the Air Force, World War II (reprint ed.). Washington, DC: Office of Air Force History. ISBN 0-405-12194-6. LCCN 70605402. OCLC 72556.
- See also www.thirsty13th.com, the official website of a sister squadron of the 64th TCS in 1943-1945. The Thirsty 13th site offers a book with much information about the 64th Troop Carrier Squadron.
- AFHRA 64th Air Refueling Squadron History (accessed 24 December 2009)