|Centuries:||6th century – 7th century – 8th century|
|Decades:||620s 630s 640s – 650s – 660s 670s 680s|
|Years:||650 651 652 – 653 – 654 655 656|
|653 by topic|
|State leaders – Sovereign states|
|Birth and death categories|
|Births – Deaths|
|Establishment and disestablishment categories|
|Establishments – Disestablishments|
|Ab urbe condita||1406|
|English Regnal year||N/A|
— to —癸丑年十二月初七日
|- Vikram Samvat||709–710|
|- Shaka Samvat||575–576|
|- Kali Yuga||3754–3755|
|- Ǹrí Ìgbò||-347–-346|
|Juche calendar||N/A (before 1912)|
|Julian calendar||653 DCLIII|
|Minguo calendar||1259 before ROC
|Thai solar calendar||1196|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: 653|
Year 653 (DCLIII) was a common year starting on Tuesday (link will display the full calendar) of the Julian calendar. The denomination 653 for this year has been used since the early medieval period, when the Anno Domini calendar era became the prevalent method in Europe for naming years.
By place 
- Sigeberht the Good succeeds Sigeberht the Little as king of Essex.
- Aripert, nephew of Theodelinda, succeeds the murdered Rodoald as king of the Lombards.
- Japanese ambassadors, student priests and students sail for Tang, but they are drowned by sinking of the ship on their way. Only five men survive.
- Emperor Tenji of Japan changes his residence to Asuka with Empress Hashibito] and other Imperial family members and ministers. Only the Emperor stays in the Naniwa Palace.
By topic 
- June 17 – Pope Martin is arrested on orders of Byzantine Emperor Constans II and taken to imprisonment in Constantinople.
- September 3 – Saint Honorius, Archbishop of Canterbury
- Chindaswinth, king of the Visigoths
- Rodoald, king of the Lombards
- 'Abbas ibn 'Abd al-Muttalib, uncle of Muhammad and his chief financial supporter
- Li Ke
- Zhang Xingcheng