Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Mohamed Diab|
|Produced by||Dolar Film|
|Written by||Mohamed Diab|
Maged El Kedwany
Ahmed Al Fishawy
|Music by||Hany Adel|
678 (Arabic: فيلم ٦٧٨ - feelm sitta seba' thamaniyya) is a 2010 Egyptian film by director Mohamed Diab focusing on the sexual harassment of women in Egypt. The film took top prize in the 2010 Dubai International Film Festival, Muhr Arab category. Controversies around the film include a threatened lawsuit by Egyptian pop singer Tamer Hosny for the film's use of his song, as he did not wish it associated with the subject, and an attempt by attorney Abdel Hamid Shabaan to block the film from the Festival due to its poor portrayal of Egypt. The filmmaker denied any intent to defame Egypt, as the issues are universal. Mahmoud Hanfy Mahmoud of the Association for Human rights and Social Justice requested that the film be banned as potentially inciting women to injure men's genitals with sharp tools, but filmmakers argued that it did not encourage but merely documented the practice of some women carrying such tools for self-defense.
The film focuses on the lives of three women of different social classes who get publicly harassed. It starts with Fayza (Bushra), a low income government employee who gets harassed in a taxi and a bus (numbered 678) on the way to work. When she arrives home she resists her husband's attempts in sleeping with her and doesn't explain why she can't sleep with him.
It then moves to Seba a middle class jewelry designer who gets harassed in a stadium by a group of men while her husband is unable to reach her to stop what is happening to her. Following that, her husband was unable to live with what happened and she was left with no one to take care of her emotionally. She separated from her husband and started a harassment class in al Sawi cultural wheel.
Finally the movie focuses on Nelly, a standup comedian and call center employee who gets harassed verbally on a call with a customer as well as physically while walking home when a truck driver grabs her and pulls her through the street. When he finally leaves her she runs behind the truck and doesn't let it go until she and the crowds were able to pull the driver out and hand him over to the police. She tries to file a report for harassment but the police officer resists and send her to another precinct. She appears after that in a TV show as she was the first Egyptian to file a report for harassment.
- Bushra as Fayza
- Nelly Karim as Seba
- Maged El Kedwany as Essam
- Nahed El Sebai as Nelly
- Bassem Samra as Adel
- Ahmed El Feshawy as Sherif
- Omar El Saeed as Omar
- Sawsan Badr as Nelly's mother
- Yara Goubran as Amina
- Marwa Mahran as Magda
- Moataz Al-Demerdash as Himself
- امر حسنى غاضب من مخرج فيلم 678 (in Arabic). EgyTv. 2010-12-09. Archived from the original on 2010-12-11.
- ""678" film doesn't smear Egypt's reputation". Horeytna. 2010-11-32. Check date values in:
- "Film shines spotlight on Egypt's sexual harassment". The national. 2010-12-14.
- ""678" film doesn't tarnish Egypt's reputation, the whole world is suffering from sexual harassment". The national. 2010-10-09.
- "Film shines spotlight on Egypt's sexual harassment". The National. 2010-12-21.
- "Does not defame Egypt". NDP. 2010-12-14.
- "Citing potential harm to men's 'sensitive spots,' activist urges film ban". Al-Masry Al-Youm. 2010-12-27.
- 678 at the Internet Movie Database
- "SIX, SEVEN, EIGHT". Dubai International Film Festival Official Website. 2010-12-19. Archived from the original on 2010-12-22.
- "An Exposé on Sexual Harassment". Cairo 360.
- El-Hennawy, Noha (2010-12-17). "678: Sexual harassment in a movie". Egypt Independent (Al-Masry Al-Youm). Retrieved 2013-05-14.
- 2010 Dubai International Film Festival
- Lebanese Civil War drama wins best film at DIFF; Egypt receives best acting prizes
- El Shoush, Maey. "Film shines spotlight on Egypt's sexual harassment." The National. December 14, 2010.
- Mohsen, Ali Abdel. "The ‘S’ word: Egyptian documentary film examines Cairo’s sex life" (Archive). Egypt Independent. Monday 11/10/2010.