|Centuries:||6th century – 7th century – 8th century|
|Decades:||650s 660s 670s – 680s – 690s 700s 710s|
|Years:||683 684 685 – 686 – 687 688 689|
|686 by topic|
|State leaders – Sovereign states|
|Birth and death categories|
|Births – Deaths|
|Establishment and disestablishment categories|
|Establishments – Disestablishments|
|Ab urbe condita||1439|
|Bahá'í calendar||-1158 – -1157|
|English Regnal year||N/A|
|Chinese calendar||乙酉年 (Wood Rooster)
3382 or 3322
— to —
丙戌年 (Fire Dog)
3383 or 3323
|- Vikram Samvat||742–743|
|- Shaka Samvat||608–609|
|- Kali Yuga||3787–3788|
|Igbo calendar||-314 – -313|
|Japanese calendar||Shuchō 1
|Minguo calendar||1226 before ROC
|Thai solar calendar||1229|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 686.|
Year 686 (DCLXXXVI) was a common year starting on Monday (link will display the full calendar) of the Julian calendar. The denomination 686 for this year has been used since the early medieval period, when the Anno Domini calendar era became the prevalent method in Europe for naming years.
- The Kingdom of Kent is attacked and conquered by West Saxons under Caedwalla.
- Caedwalla exterminates the Jutes of the Isle of Wight and kills King Arwald.
- October 1 – Emperor Temmu of Japan dies. Empress Jito ascends the throne.
- Emperor Temmu's son, Prince Ōtsu, is falsely accused of treason by Jito and forced to commit suicide along with his wife, Princess Yamanobe.
- August 2 – Pope John V
- October 1 – Emperor Temmu, emperor of Japan
- October 25 – Prince Ōtsu and Princess Yamanobe, prince and princess of Japan
- Weonhyo, Korean Buddhist monk