690th Cyberspace Operations Group
|690th Cyberspace Operations Group|
690th Network Support Group Shield
|Active||1 April 1991|
|Branch||United States Air Force|
|Part of||Air Force Space Command|
|Garrison/HQ||Lackland Air Force Base|
|Motto||Anytime/Anywhere Support To Weapon Systems Used By Network Warfighters To Execute Network Warfare|
|Decorations||AFOUA w/ V Device|
|Colonel Michelle L. Hayworth|
The 690th Cyberspace Operations Group, at Lackland Air Force Base, Texas, is a United States Air Force group managing four squadrons relating to computer network operations. The group was established 1 April 1991 as the 6900 Communications-Computer Group. The group was re-designated the Air Intelligence Agency Intelligence Systems Group on 1 October 1993. It was re-designated again as the 690th Information Operations Group on 1 Oct 1997. On 5 July 2006, the group was again re-designated as the 690th Network Support Group.
The group is responsible for operating and maintaining the Air Force's global enterprise network. 690 NSG is the largest group in the 67th Network Warfare Wing. The group is composed of four squadrons and multiple detachments located around the world.
The 690 NSG provides command and control (C2) of the network security boundaries of all Air Force installations. Currently, technicians from the 690 NSG are moving base-by-base and rolling all AF network core services (email, web access, etc.) into a single Air Force Network (AFNet). The AFNet is managed by two Network Operations Squadrons.
- 83rd Network Operations Squadron, (Langley Air Force Base, Virginia)
- 561st Network Operations Squadron, (Peterson Air Force Base, Colorado)
- 690th Network Support Squadron, (Lackland Air Force Base, Texas)
- 690th Intelligence Support Squadron, (Lackland Air Force Base, Texas)
Major Command/Numbered Air Force
- Air Force Space Command/Twenty-Fourth Air Force (18 Aug 2009–Present)
- Air Combat Command/Eighth Air Force (5 Jul 2006 – 17 Aug 2009)
- Factsheets: 690th Network Support Group, http://www.afhra.af.mil/factsheets/factsheet.asp?id=18420
- MIT Journal story on AFNet, http://www.military-information-technology.com/mit-home/367-mit-2011-volume-15-issue-10-november/4997-air-force-builds-one-network.html
- Reuters news story on US Cyber Command, http://www.reuters.com/article/2010/10/05/us-usa-cyberwar-idUSTRE69433120101005