6th of October City
|6th of October City|
|Time zone||EST (UTC+2)|
6th of October City[note 1] is a city in Giza Governorate, a satellite town and part of the urban area of Cairo, Egypt, 32 km (20 miles) outside the city. It has a population ranging between some 185,000 in the city to an estimated 500,000 inhabitants in the wider area.
6th of October City was the capital of the now defunct 6th of October Governorate. A new city in the desert, it hosts Egyptian students and students from the Gulf and Palestinian territories, who study at its private universities.
- 1 Establishment
- 2 Climate
- 3 Vital headquarters
- 4 Business
- 5 Education facilities
- 6 Health services
- 7 Tourism and hotels
- 8 Infrastructure
- 9 Leisure and entertainment
- 10 See also
- 11 References
- 12 External links
The settlement was established in 1979 by the 504th presidential decree of Egyptian president Anwar El Sadat. It is 17 km from the great pyramids of Giza and 32 km from downtown Cairo. The city has a total area of 97.4 thousand feddans (400 km2) and, eventually, is expected to have 3.7 million inhabitants, although there are many unoccupied or incomplete buildings.
It was announced as the capital of the 6th of October Governorate in April 2008. Following the governorate's dissolution in April 2011, in the wake of the Egyptian revolution, it was reincorporated into the Giza Governorate, to which it had originally belonged.
|Climate data for 6th of October City|
|Average high °C (°F)||18.4
|Daily mean °C (°F)||12
|Average low °C (°F)||5.7
|Average precipitation mm (inches)||5
6th of October City is the headquarters of the Confederation of African Football. It hosts Egypt's Smart Village, the technology park and regional hub for many companies in the IT and financial sectors.
6th of October City has one of the largest industrial zones in Egypt on which the entire city is established. The industrial zone provides jobs for employees within the city as well as from other parts of Giza. It is accompanied by a banking sector that groups branches of all banks in Egypt in an area that is close to the industrial area to serve the needs of the industry and residents.
Some of the largest businesses in 6th of October City are mentioned below:
- Vodafone Egypt
- Bavarian Auto Group
- Egyptian German Automotive Company
- General Motors Egypt
- Stream Global Services
- Seoudi Group
- Coldwell Banker New Homes
- Shaer Consult Consultant Engineers
- Culture & Science City
- Ahram Canadian University
- Akhbar El Youm Academy
- Cairo University in Sheikh Zayed City
- Higher Institute of Applied Arts
- Higher Institute for Architecture
- Higher Institute of Engineering
- Higher Institute of Science and Technology
- Higher Technological Institute
- Misr University for Science and Technology
- Modern Sciences and Arts University
- Nile University
- October 6 University (O6U)
- Zewail City of Science and Technology
Secondary schools and international schools
|This section requires expansion. (January 2015)|
- American International School in Egypt West Campus - Sheikh Zayed City
- British International School in Cairo
- International School of Choueifat 6th of October City
The city has several teaching, public, and private hospitals as well as many smaller clinics.
- Misr University for Science and Technology (Souad Kafafi Memorial) Hospital
- Six October University Teaching Hospital (SOUTH) Hospital
- Dar Al Fouad Hospital, the first accredited cardiac hospital in Africa and the Middle East
- Sheikh Zayed Specialized Hospital
- Sheikh Zayed Central Hospital
- Al Safwa Hospital
- Al Zohor Hospital
Tourism and hotels
- Moevenpick Hotel Cairo-Media City
- Swiss Inn Pyramids Golf Resort
- Sheraton Dreamland Hotel And Conference Center 6th of October City
- Swiss Inn Plaza 6th of October City
- Hilton Pyramids Golf Resort
- Novotel Hotel
6th of October Airport is used for transport of products and materials to and from the city.
Leisure and entertainment
The city has a wide variety of entertainment and leisure activities for families and individuals.
There are seven mega malls (four under construction ), as well as many small malls and centers with an average of three for each city.
- Mall Of Arabia - Cairo
- Dandy Mega Mall
- Galleria 40
- Cityscape Mall
- Mall of Egypt (under construction, due 2015)
- City Stars 6th of October (under construction)
- Cairo Gate (under construction)
- Unknown Porto October Mall (under Construction, due 2017)
6th of October has 10 cinema complexes, 4 of which are under construction.
- Renaissance Cinemas
- Galaxy Cineplex - Mall of Arabia
- Cityscape Cinemas
- Dandy Mega Mall Cinemas
- Good News - MUST
- Plaza Cinemas
- An IMAX Theater in Plaza Cinemas
- Mall of Egypt Cinemas (under construction, due 2015)
- Ramw Mall Cinemas (under construction, due 2014)
- Good News - Sheikh Zayed (under construction, due 2014)
There are eight sporting clubs (with one under construction).
- 6 October Club
- Egyptian Shooting Club - October
- Wadi Degla - 6 October Rawda
- Wadi Degla - 6 October (under construction, due 2013)
- Engineering Syndicate Club
- Lawyers Syndicate Club
- Ruya Club
- BlackBall Club
- Naadi Kos El Dagaga
the city has two paintball fields (Adrenaline Paintball and KEE Action Park). There are two amusement parks: Dream Park and Mega Park (under construction).
- Arabic: مدينة السادس من أكتوبر Madīnat as-Sādis min Uktōbar
- "To Catch Cairo Overflow, 2 Megacities Rise in Sand" article by Thanassis Cambanis in The New York Times August 24, 2010. Retrieved August 25, 2010.
- Emporis GmbH. "6th of October City - Buildings - EMPORIS". emporis.com.
- Neil MacFarquhar, David Rohde, Aram Roston: Mubarak Family Riches Attract New Focus. The New York Times, February 12, 2011, retrieved February 13, 2011
- "City Arrival". New Urban Communities Authority. Retrieved 2008-11-28.
- "Land Use". New Urban Communities Authority. Retrieved 2008-11-28.
- "Climate: 6th of October - Climate graph, Temperature graph, Climate table". Climate-Data.org. Retrieved 16 August 2013.
- "Contact Bavarian Auto Group". Bag-eg.com. Retrieved 2011-02-02.
- Satyam. "Welcome to GMArabia Corporate Information". Gmegypt.com. Retrieved 2011-02-02.
- "Seoudi Group 1001 opportunities for investment in Egypt and Arab World". Seoudi.com. Archived from the original on 1 February 2011. Retrieved 2011-02-02.
- "Contact Coldwell Benaker New Homes Egypt". Archived from the original on 19 May 2011. Retrieved 2011-05-19.
- "Home." American International School in Egypt West Campus. Retrieved on January 25, 2015. "AMERICAN INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL IN EGYPT WEST CAMPUS Sheikh Zayed City Entrance 2 Greens Compound"
- "Contact Us." British International School in Cairo. Retrieved on 23 January 2015. "Physical Address: Km 38, Cairo-Alexandria Desert Road, Beverly Hills, 6th of October City, Egypt, 12451" - See map
- "Contact Us." International School of Choueifat 6th of October City. Retrieved on 24 January 2015. "The International School of Choueifat - City of 6 October, Egypt Dreamland, City of 6 October, Al Giza, Egypt"
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 6th of October City.|