6th of October City
|6th of October City|
|Time zone||EST (UTC+2)|
6th of October City[note 1] is a city in Giza Governorate, a satellite town and part of the urban area of Cairo, Egypt, 32 km (20 miles) outside the city itself. It has a population ranging between some 185,000 in the city to an estimated 500,000 inhabitants in the wider area. 6th of October City was the capital of the now defunct 6th of October Governorate. A new city in the desert, it also hosts Egyptian students and students from the Gulf and Palestinian territories, who study at its private universities.
The settlement was established in 1979 by the 504th presidential decree of Egyptian president Anwar El Sadat. It is 17 km from the great pyramids of Giza and 32 km from downtown Cairo. The city has a total area of 97.4 thousand feddans (400 km2) and, eventually, is expected to have 3.7 million inhabitants, although there are many unoccupied or incomplete buildings in the city. It was announced as the capital of the 6th of October Governorate in April 2008. Following the governorate's dissolution in April 2011, in the wake of the Egyptian revolution, it was reincorporated into the Giza Governorate, to which it had originally belonged.
|Climate data for 6th of October City|
|Average high °C (°F)||18.4
|Daily mean °C (°F)||12
|Average low °C (°F)||5.7
|Precipitation mm (inches)||5
6th of October City is the headquarters of The Confederation of African Football. It also hosts Egypt's Smart Village, the technology park and regional hub for many companies in the IT and financial sectors.
6th of October City hosts one of the largest industrial zones in Egypt on which the entire city is established. The industrial zone provides jobs for employees within 6th October City as well as from other parts of Giza. It is also accompanied by a Banking Sector that groups branches of all banks in Egypt in an area that is close to the industrial area in order to serve the needs of the industry as well as residents of the city. An airport, 6th of October Airport, is used for transport of products and materials to and from the city. Some of the largest businesses in 6th of October City are mentioned below:
- Vodafone Egypt
- Bavarian Auto Group
- Egyptian German Automotive Company
- General Motors Egypt
- Stream Global Services
- Seoudi Group
- Coldwell Banker New Homes
- Shaer Consult Consultant Engineers
- Ahram Canadian University
- Akhbar El Youm Academy
- Cairo University in Sheikh Zayed City
- Higher Institute of Applied Arts
- Higher Institute for Architecture
- Higher Institute of Engineering
- Higher Institute of Science and Technology
- Higher Technological Institute
- Misr University for Science and Technology
- Modern Sciences and Arts University
- Nile University
- October 6 University
- Zewail City of Science and Technology
The city has several teaching, public, and private hospitals as well as many smaller clinics.
- Misr University for Science and Technology (Souad Kafafi Memorial) Hospital
- Six October University Teaching Hospital (SOUTH) Hospital
- Dar Al Fouad Hospital, the first accredited cardiac hospital in Africa and the Middle East
- Sheikh Zayed Specialized Hospital
- Sheikh Zayed Central Hospital
- Al Safwa Hospital
- Al Zohor Hospital
Tourism and Hotels
- Moevenpick Hotel Cairo-Media City
- Swiss Inn Pyramids Golf Resort
- Sheraton Dreamland Hotel And Conference Center 6th of October City
- Swiss Inn Plaza 6th of October City
- Hilton Pyramids Golf Resort
- Novotel Hotel
The city has an airport and an extensive industrial park.
Leisure and Entertainment
the city has a wide variety of entertainment and leisure activities for families and individuals alike .
the city has 7 Mega Malls ( 4 under construction ), as well as a lot of many other small Malls and Centers with an average of 3 for each city.
List of Shopping Malls in 6 October City
- Mall Of Arabia - Cairo
- Dandy Mega Mall
- Cityscape Mall
- Mall of Egypt ( under construction, Due 2015 )
- City Stars 6th of October ( under construction )
- Cairo Gate ( under construction )
- UNKNOWN Porto October Mall ( under Construction, Due 2017 )
6 of October has 10 cinema complexes, 4 of which are under construction .
List Of Cinema Complexes in 6 October City
- Renaissance Cinemas
- Galaxy Cineplex - Mall of Arabia
- Cityscape Cinemas
- Dandy Mega Mall Cinemas
- Good News - MUST
- Plaza Cinemas
- An IMAX Theater Located in Plaza Cinemas
- Mall of Egypt Cinemas ( Under Construction - Due 2015 )
- Ramw Mall Cinemas ( Under Construction - Due 2014 )
- Good News - Sheikh Zayed ( Under Construction - Due 2014 )
6 October City has 8 Sporting Clubs ( 1 Under Construction )
List of Sporting Clubs in 6 October City
- 6 October Club
- Egyptian Shooting Club - October
- Wadi Degla - 6 October Rawda
- Wadi Degla - 6 October ( Under Construction - Due 2013 )
- Engineering syndicate Club
- Lawyers syndicate Club
- Ruya Club
- BlackBall Club
the city has 2 Paintball fields ( Adrenaline Paintball and KEE Action Park ), there are 2 Amusement Parks which are Dream Park and Mega Park (Under Construction)
- Arabic: مدينة السادس من أكتوبر Madīnat as-Sādis min Uktōbar
- "To Catch Cairo Overflow, 2 Megacities Rise in Sand" article by Thanassis Cambanis in The New York Times August 24, 2010. Retrieved August 25, 2010.
- Neil MacFarquhar, David Rohde, Aram Roston: Mubarak Family Riches Attract New Focus. The New York Times, February 12, 2011, retrieved February 13, 2011
- "City Arrival". New Urban Communities Authority. Retrieved 2008-11-28.
- "Land Use". New Urban Communities Authority. Retrieved 2008-11-28.
- "Climate: 6th of October - Climate graph, Temperature graph, Climate table". Climate-Data.org. Retrieved 16 August 2013.
- "Contact Bavarian Auto Group". Bag-eg.com. Retrieved 2011-02-02.
- Satyam. "Welcome to GMArabia Corporate Information". Gmegypt.com. Retrieved 2011-02-02.
- "Seoudi Group 1001 opportunities for investment in Egypt and Arab World". Seoudi.com. Archived from the original on 1 February 2011. Retrieved 2011-02-02.
- "Contact Coldwell Benaker New Homes Egypt". Archived from the original on 19 May 2011. Retrieved 2011-05-19.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 6th of October City.|